(in compounds addha˚;)
- (of space a path, road, also journey (see compounds & derivations); only in one ster. phrase Ja.iv.384 = Ja.v.137 (pathaddhuno paṇṇarase va cando, gen. for loc. ˚addhani, on his course in his orbit; expld. at iv.384 by ākāsa-patha-sankhātassa addhuno majjhe ṭhito and at v.137 by pathaddhagato addha-pathe gaganamajjhe ṭhito); Pv.iii.3#1 (pathaddhani paṇṇarase va cando; loc. same meaning as prec., expld. at Pv-a.188 by attano pathabhūte addhani gaganatala-magge) This phrase (pathaddhan) however is expld. by Kern (Toev s. v. pathaddu) as “gone half-way”, i.e. on full-moon-day He rejects the expln. of C.
- (of time) a stretch of time, an interval of time, a period, also a lifetime (see compounds); only in two standard applications viz.
- as mode of time (past, present & future) in; tayo addhā three divisions of time (atita, anāgata, paccuppanna) DN.iii.216; Iti.53, Iti.70.
- in phrase dīghaṃ addhānaṃ (acc.) a very long time AN.ii.1, AN.ii.10 (dighaṃ a ddh ānaṃ saṃsāraṃ); Snp.740 (dīghaṃ addhāna saṃsāra); Dhp.207 (dīghaṃ addhāna socati) Ja.i.137. gen. dīghassa addhuno Pv-a.148 (gatattā because a long time has elapsed), instr. dīghena addhunā SN.i.78; AN.ii.118; Pv-a.28.
- -āyu duration of life AN.ii.66 (dīghaṃ ˚ṃ a long lifetime
- -gata one who has gone the road or traversed the space or span of life, an old man [cp. BSk. adhvagata Mvu.ii.150], always combd. with vayo anuppatto sometimes in ster. formula with jiṇṇa & mahallaka; Vin.ii.188; DN.i.48 (cp. DN-a.i.143); MN.i.82; Snp.p. 50, Snp.p. 92; Pv-a.149.
- -gū [Vedic adhvaga] a wayfarer, traveller journeyman Thag.255 = SN.i.212 (but the latter has panthagu variant reading addhagū); Ja.iii.95 (variant reading patthagu = panthagu); Dhp.302.
Vedic adhvan, orig. meaning “stretch, length”, both of space & time
■ Cases: nom. addhā, gen. dat. addhuno, instr. addhunā, acc. addhānaṃ loc. addhani; pl. addhā. See also addhāna