speech, conversation, way of talking, disputation Snp.328 (variant reading for hassa); Iti.71; Mil.90; Vism.127 (grouped into fit talk as the 10 kathā-vatthus, and unfit talk or gossip, as the 32 tiracchāna-kathā).
- -kāraka one who makes talk, i.e. invites disputation or one who gossips Vin.i.1; Mnd.142; f.
- -kārikā Vin.iv.230.
- -pavādaka one who proposes disputation one who is fond of debate & discussions MN.i.161, MN.i.227 (˚ika); Mil.4.
- -pavedin one experienced in debating Mil.90.
- -samācāra (good) conduct in speech, proficiency in disputation DN.iii.106.
- -samussaya grandiloquence proud talk Snp.245 (cp. Snp-a.288 = att’ukkaṃsanatā ti vuttaṃ hoti).
cp. Class. Sk. bhāṣya, of bhāṣ