producing, dwelling on something, putting one’s thoughts to, application, developing by means of thought or meditation, cultivation by mind, culture
■ See on term Dhs translation 261 (= 2 240); Expos. i.217 (= Dhs-a.163); Cpd. 207 n.2. Cp. pari˚, vi˚, sam˚
■ Vin.i.294 (indriya˚); DN.iii.219 (three: kāya˚, citta˚, paññā˚), DN.iii.221, DN.iii.225, DN.iii.285, DN.iii.291; SN.i.48; Dhp.73, Dhp.301; Ja.i.196 (mettā˚); Ja.iii.45 (id.); Mnd.143 (saññā˚); Ne.91 (samatha-vipassanaṃ); Vb.12 Vb.16 sq., Vb.199, Vb.325; Vism.130 (karaṇa, bhāvanā, rakkhaṇa; here bh. = bringing out, keeping in existence), Vism.314 (karuṇā˚), Vism.317 (upekkhā˚); Mil.25 (˚ṃ anuyuñjati); Sdhp.15, Sdhp.216, Sdhp.233, Sdhp.451.
- -ānuyoga application to meditation Vb.244, Vb.249
- -ārāma joy of or pleasure in self culture AN.ii.28.
- -bala power to increase the effect of meditation, power of self-culture AN.i.52; DN.iii.213.
- -maya accomplished by culture practice; brought into existence by practice (of cultured thought), cp. Cpd. 207. DN.iii.218, DN.iii.219 Ne.8; with dānamaya & sīlamaya; at Iti.19, Iti.51; Vb.135, Vb.325.
- -vidhāna arrangement of process of culture Dhs-a.168 = Vism.122.
fr. bhāveti, or fr. bhāva in meaning of bhāva 2, cp. Class. Sk. bhāvanā