- (lit.) ground, soil, earth Vin.ii.175; Snp.418 (yāna carriage road); Pv.i.10#14≈; Snp-a.353 (heṭṭhā-bhūmiyaṃ under the earth); Dhp-a.i.414 (id., opp. upari-bhūmiyaṃ)
- place, quarter, district, region MN.i.145 (jāti district of one’s birth); Snp.830 (vighāta˚); Cnd.475 (danta˚); Dhp-a.i.213 (āpāna˚); Pv-a.80 (susāna˚)- uyyāna˚; garden (-place or locality) Vv.64#19; Pv.ii.12#9 Ja.i.58.
- (fig.) ground, plane, stage, level; state of consciousness, Vin. i.17; Vb.322 sq.; Vism.126, Vism.442 (with ref. to the 4 Paṭisambhidā, as sekha-bhūmi asekha-bhūmi), Vism.517 (paññā˚-niddesa). usually -˚ indriya˚ Ne.192; dassana˚ plane of insight Ne.8, Ne.14 Ne.50; sukha˚ ground for happiness Dhs.984 (cp Dhs-a.214)
■ bhūmi-ttaya the 3 stages, viz kāmâvacara, rūpâvacara, lokuttara Vism.493
■ pl bhūmiyo Pts.ii.205 = Vism.384 (applied to the 4 jhānas) purisa˚ (aṭṭha p. bh. eight stages of the individual viz. manda-bhūmi, khiḍḍā˚, vīmaṃsana˚, ujugata˚ sekha˚, samaṇa˚, jina˚, panna˚, or as trsld by Rh. D in Dial. i.72, under “eight stages of a prophet’s existence”; babyhood, playtime, trial time, erect time learning time, ascetic time, prophet time & prostrate time. Cp. the 10 decades of man’s life, as given by Bdhgh at Vism.619)
■ Bdhgh, when defining the 2 meanings of bhūmi as “mahā-paṭhavī” and as “cittuppāda” (rise of thought) had in view the distinction between its literal & figurative meaning. But this def (at Dhs-a.214) is vague & only popular
■ An old loc of bhūmi is; bhumyā, e.g. Ja.i.507; Ja.v.84. Another form of bhūmi at end of compounds is bhūma (q.v.).
- -kampa shaking of the ground, earthquake Mil.178
- -gata “gone into the soil,” i.e. hiding, stored away Ja.i.375.
- -ghana thick soil Snp-a.149, cp. paṭhavi-ghana ibid. p.146.
- -tala ground (-surface) Pv-a.186.
- -padesa place or region upon the earth Ja.vi.95.
- -pappaṭaka outgrowths in the soil DN.iii.87 = Vism.418.
- -pothana beating the ground Dhp-a.i.171.
- -bhāga division of the earth, district Ja.i.109; Ja.v.200; Vv-a.125; Pv-a.29, Pv-a.154
- -laddh’ (uppanna) acquired on a certain stage of existence Snp-a.4.
- -saya lying or sleeping on the ground Dhp-a.ii.61.
cp. Vedic bhūmi, Av. būmiš soil, ground, to bhū, as in bhavati, cp. Gr. φύσις etc. See bhavati