- a drop, usually a drop of water Snp.392, Snp.812 (uda˚); Ja.i.100; Vism.531 (madhu˚) Thag-a.281; Pv-a.98 (udaka˚).
- a spot (cp. SBE xvii.155) Vism.222 (˚vicitvā gāvī a spotted cow).
- (as adj.) one of the eight qualities of perfect sound (brahma-ssara, with ref. to the voice of Brahmā and of Buddha, cp. aṭṭhanga), which are given at DN.ii.211 DN.ii.227 as (saro hoti) vissaṭṭho ca viññeyyo ca mañjū ca savanīyo ca bindu [vv.ll. bandu & bhindu] ca avisārī ca gambhīro ca ninnādī ca. We may translate by “full, close, compact” (Dial. ii.245 “continuous”) See also below ˚ssara.
- -tthanī having breasts round as a bubble Ja.v.215
- -bindu(ṃ) drop by drop DN-a.i.218.
- -matī (f.) Np. of a courtesan of Pāṭaliputta in the time of Asoka Mil.121 sq.
- -matta measuring a drop, even a drop Pv-a.100, Pv-a.104 (eka ˚ṃ).
- -sāra Np. of king of India, father of Asoka Dpvs.v.101; Dpvs.vi.15; Mhvs.v.18, Mhvs.v.19.
- -ssara a full rounded voice Snp.350 (referred by Snp-a to a Mahāpurisa); adj. having a full voice (see above bindu 3; Pv.iii.3#4 (T. vindu˚, BB bindu˚; Pv-a explains by avissaṭṭha-ssara sampiṇḍita-ssara, i.e. “continuous”) Ja.ii.439 (= bindhunā avisaṭena piṇḍitena sarena samannāgata C.); Ja.v.204, Ja.v.299 (= sampiṇḍita-ghana-ssara), Ja.vi.518 = Ja.vi.581 (= piṇḍita-ssara C.).
cp. Vedic bindu & vindu