ra; (on ṇ: l cp. guṇa: guḷa etc.) to *del as in Sk. dala, dalati. Cp. Lat. dolare to cut, split, work in wood; delere to destroy; Gr.δαίδαλον work of art; Mhg. zelge twig; zol a stick Possibly also fr. *dan[d]ra (r = l freq., ṇ: l as tulā tūṇa; veṇu: veḷu, etc. cp. aṇḍa, caṇḍa), then it would equal Gr. δένδρον tree, wood, & be connected with Sk dāru]
- stem of a tree, wood, wood worked into something, e.g. a handle, etc. Ja.ii.102; Ja.ii.405 (variant reading dabba) Vism.313; Pv-a.220 (nimbarukkhassa daṇḍena [variant reading dabbena] katasūla). tidaṇḍa a tripod.
- a stick staff, rod, to lean on, & as support in walking; the walking-stick of a Wanderer Vin.ii.132 (na sakkoti vinā daṇḍena āhiṇḍituṃ), Vin.ii.196; SN.i.176; AN.i.138, AN.i.206; Snp.688 (suvaṇṇa˚); Ja.iii.395; Ja.v.47 (loha˚); Sdhp.399 (eka˚, ˚dvaya, ti˚). daṇḍaṃ olubbha leaning on the st. MN.i.108; AN.iii.298; Thig.27.
- a stick as means of punishment. a blow, a thrashing: daṇḍehi aññamaññaṃ upakkamanti “they go for each other with sticks” MN.i.86 = Cnd.199; ˚ṃ dadāti to give a thrashing Ja.iv.382; Ja.v.442; daṇḍena pahāraṃ dadāti to hit with a stick SN.iv.62; brahma˚ a certain kind of punishment DN.ii.154, cp. Vin.ii.290 & Kern, Manual p. 87; pañca satāni daṇḍo a fine of 500 pieces Vin.i.247; paṇīta receiving ample p. Pv.iv.1#66; purisa-vadha˚ Ja.ii.417 rāja-daṇḍaṃ karoti (c. loc.) to execute the royal beating Pv-a.216. See also Dhp.129, Dhp.131, Dhp.310, Dhp.405
- a stick as a weapon in general, only in cert. phrases & usually in combn w. sattha, sword. daṇḍaṃ ādiyati to take up the stick, to use violence: attadaṇḍa (atta = ā-dā violent Snp.935; attadaṇḍesu nibbuta Dhp.406 = Snp.630 a. + kodhâbhibhūta SN.iv.117: ādinna-daṇḍa ādinnasattha Vin.i.349; opp. daṇḍaṃ nidahati to lay down the stick, to be peaceful: sabbesu bhūtesu nidhāya daṇḍaṃ Snp.35, Snp.394, Snp.629; nihita-d. nihita-sattha using neither stick nor sword, of the Dhamma DN.i.4, DN.i.63; MN.i.287; AN.i.211; AN.ii.208; AN.iv.249; AN.v.204. daṇḍaṃ nikkhipati id. AN.i.206. d
■ sattha parāmasana Cnd.576 daṇḍa-sattha-abbhukkirana & daṇḍa-sattha-abhinipātana Cnd.5764. Cp. paṭidaṇḍa retribution Dhp.133.
- (fig.) a means of frightening, frightfulness, violence teasing. In this meaning used as nt. as MN.i.372; tīṇi daṇḍāni pāpassa kammassa kiriyāya: kāyadaṇḍaṃ vacī˚, mano˚; in the same sense as m. at Cnd.293 (as explained to Snp.35).
- a fine, a penalty, penance in general: daṇḍena nikkiṇāti to redeem w. a penalty Ja.vi.576 (dhanaṃ datvā Com.); daṇḍaṃ dhāreti to inflict a fine Mil.171, Mil.193; daṇḍaṃ paṇeti id. Dhp.310 (cp. Dhp-a.iii.482); Dhp-a.ii.71; aṭṭha-kahāpaṇo daṇḍo a fine of 8 k. Vv-a.76
■ adaṇḍa without a stick, i.e. without force or violence, usually in phrase adaṇḍena asatthena (see above 4): Vin.ii.196 (ad. as. nāgo danto mahesinā; thus of a Cakkavattin who rules the world peacefully: paṭhaviṃ ad. as. dhammena abhivijiya ajjhāvasati DN.i.89 = AN.iv.89, AN.iv.105, or dhammena-manusāsati Snp.1002 = SN.i.236.
- -ābhighata slaying w. cudgels Pv-a.58;
- -āraha (adj. deserving punishment Ja.v.442; Vv-a.23;
- -ādāna taking up a stick (weapon) (cp. above 4), combined with satth ādāna MN.i.110, MN.i.113, MN.i.410; DN.iii.92, DN.iii.93, DN.iii.289; AN.iv.400 Vism.326.
- -kaṭhina k. cloth stretched on a stick (for the purpose of measuring) Vin.ii.116;
- -kathālikā a large kettle with a handle Vin.i.286;
- -kamma punishment by beating, penalty, penance, atonement Ja.iii.276 Ja.iii.527; Ja.v.89; Mil.8; ˚ṃ karoti to punish, to inflict a fine Vin.i.75, Vin.i.76, Vin.i.84; Vin.ii.262;
- -koṭi the tip of a branch or stick Dhp-a.i.60;
- -dīpikā a torch Ja.vi.398; Vism.39; Dhp-a.i.220, Dhp-a.i.399;
- -ppatta liable to punishment Mil.46
- -paduma Name of a plant (cp. Sk. daṇḍotphala = sahadevā Halāyudha) Ja.i.51;
- -parāyana supported by or leaning on a stick (of old people) MN.i.88; AN.i.138; Mil.282
- -parissāvana a strainer with a handle Vin.ii.119
- -pahāra a blow with a stick DN.i.144;
- -pāṇin carrying a staff, “staff in hand” MN.i.108;
- -bali (-ādi) fines taxes, etc. Dhp-a.i.251;
- -bhaya fear of punishment AN.ii.121 sq. = Cnd.470 = Mil.196;
- -(m)antara among the sticks DN.i.166 = AN.i.295 = AN.ii.206 = MN.i.77, MN.i.238, MN.i.307, MN.i.342 Pp.55; see note at Dial. i.228;
- -yuddha a club-fight DN.i.6; Ja.iii.541;
- -lakkhaṇa fortune-telling from sticks DN.i.9;
- -vākarā a net on a stick, as a snare, MN.i.153
- -veḷupesikā a bamboo stick Ja.iv.382;
- -sikkā a rope slung round the walking-staff Vin.ii.131;
- -hattha with a stick in his hand Ja.i.59.
Vedic daṇḍa, dial. = *dal[d