view, belief, dogma, theory, speculation, esp. false theory, groundless or unfounded opinion
- The latter is rejected by the Buddha as pāpa˚; (AN.iv.172) and pāpikā d. (opp bhaddikā: AN.v.212 sq.; Iti.26): Vin.i.98, Vin.i.323; Dhp.164; Pv.iv.3#54; whereas the right, the true, the best doctrine is as sammā d. the first condition to be complied with by anyone entering the Path. As such the sammā d is opposed to micchā d. wrong views or heresy (see b) Equivalent with micchā d. is kudiṭṭhi (late) Dāvs ii.58
- Characterized more especially as:
- sammā diṭṭhi right doctrine, right philosophy Vin.i.10; SN.ii.17; SN.v.11, SN.v.14, SN.v.30 sq., SN.v.458 sq., MN.i.315; MN.ii.12, MN.ii.29, MN.ii.87 MN.iii.72; Cnd.485; Vb.104 sq. See magga*-ujukā* d SN.v.143, SN.v.165; ujugatā d. MN.i.46 sq
micchā d wrong theory, false doctrine SN.i.145; SN.ii.153 (caused by avijjā); MN.iii.71; Dhp.167, Dhp.316; Cnd.271#iiib; Vb.361 Vb.389
■ The foll. theories are to be considered as varieties of micchā d., viz. (in limited enumn) akiriyavāda SN.iii.208; SN.iv.349; aññaṃ aññena SN.iii.211; antaggāhikā AN.i.154; AN.ii.240; AN.iii.130; antānantikā DN.i.22 sq. SN.iii.214, SN.iii.258 sq.; assāda˚; AN.iii.447; ahetukavādā SN.iii.210 ucchedavādā DN.i.34; SN.ii.20; SN.iii.99; SN.iii.110 sq.; bhava˚ SN.iii.93; MN.i.65; AN.i.83; sakkāya˚; AN.iii.438; AN.v.144; Snp.231 (cp. Kp-a.188); Cnd.271#iiib (20 fold, as diṭṭhilepa); sassatavādā DN.i.13; SN.ii.20; SN.iii.98, SN.iii.213 sq. SN.iii.258 sq
- Various theories & doctrines are mentioned & discussed at: Vin.i.115; SN.i.133; SN.ii.61 sq. SN.ii.75 sq., SN.ii.222; SN.iii.215 sq., SN.iii.258 sq.; SN.iv.286; SN.v.448 (= DN.i.31) DN.iii.13 sq., DN.iii.45, DN.iii.246, DN.iii.267; MN.i.40; AN.i.32; AN.ii.252 sq. AN.iii.132, AN.iii.289, AN.iii.349; Thig.184; Pts.i.135 sq.; Pp.22; Dhs.392, Dhs.1003 (cp. Dhs. trsl. pp. 257 sq., 293, 325) Vb.145, Vb.245, Vb.341, Vb.393 sq.; Sdhp.13, Sdhp.333
- Miscellaneous: 4 diṭṭhiyo at Vb.376; also at Vism.511 (sakkāya˚, uccheda˚, sassata˚, akiriya˚); Vism.5 Vb.378 Vb.6 at MN.i.8; Vb.382; Vb.7 at Vb.383; Vb.20 see under *sakkāya*˚; 62 under diṭṭhigata
■ In series diṭṭhi khanti ruci laddhi characterizing “diṭṭhadhamma” at Cnd.299 & passim. Diṭṭhiyā sutiyā ñāṇena in def. of a theory of cognition at Cnd.300 as complementing taṇhā see taṇhā B3. Coupled with vācā & citta in formula (taṃ) vācaṃ appahāya cittaṃ appahāya diṭṭhiṃ appaṭinissajjitvā… (nikkhitto evaṃ niraye) at SN.iv.319; DN.iii.13, DN.iii.15; combined with (& opposed to) sīla (as pāpaka & bhaddaka) at Iti.26, Iti.27
■ diṭṭhiṃ āsevati to hold a view MN.i.323; ˚ṃ bhindati to give up a view Ja.i.273 Dāvs ii.58.
-ānugati a sign of speculation Vin.ii.108; SN.ii.203 Pp.33. -ānusaya inclination to speculation DN.iii.254 DN.iii.282; SN.v.60; AN.iv.9; -āsava the intoxicant of speculation the 3rd of four āsavā, viz. kāma˚, bhava˚, d.˚ avijjā˚ Vin.iii.5; Cnd.134; Dhs.1099, Dhs.1448; Vb.373 cp. ˚ogha; -upadānā taking up or adhering to false doctrines, the second of the four upādānāni or attachments viz. kāma˚, d.˚, sīlabbata˚, attavāda˚ DN.iii.230; Dhs.1215, Dhs.1536; -ogha the flood of false doctrine, in set of four ogha’s as under ˚āsava DN.iii.230, DN.iii.276; Cnd.178 -kantāra the wilderness of groundless speculation Dhs.381, Dhs.1003, Dhs.1099, etc.; see ˚*gata; -gaṇṭhi the web or tangle of sophisticism Vv-a.297; cp. ˚sanghāṭa; -gata (nt.) “resorting to views,” theory, groundless opinion false doctrine, often followed by series of characterizing epithets: d
■ gahana, ˚kantāra, ˚visūka, ˚vipphandita ˚saññojana, e.g. MN.i.8; Cnd.271#iiib. Of these sophistical speculations 2 are mentioned at Iti.43, Pts.i.129 Pts.i.6 at Pts.i.130; Pts.i.62 (the usual number, expressing “great and small” sets, cp. dvi AN ii.) at DN.i.12–DN.i.39 (in detail) SN.iv.286; Pts.i.130; Cnd.271#iiib; Ne.96, Ne.112, Ne.160. Vin.i.49; DN.i.162, DN.i.224, DN.i.226; SN.i.135, SN.i.142; SN.ii.230; SN.iii.109 SN.iii.258 sq. (anekavihitāni); SN.iv.286 (id.); MN.i.8, MN.i.176, MN.i.256 sq. (pāpaka), MN.i.326 (id.), MN.i.426 sq.; AN.iv.68; AN.v.72 sq., AN.v.194 (pāpaka); Snp.649, Snp.834, Snp.913; Pp.15; Dhs.277, Dhs.339, Dhs.392 Dhs.505; Vism.454
■ adj. ˚gatika adhering to (false) doctrine Dpvs.vi.25; -gahana the thicket of speculation Dhs.381, Dhs.1003; see ˚gata*; -jāla the net of sophistry DN.i.46; DN-a.i.129; -ṭṭhāna a tenet of speculative philosophy DN.i.16; MN.i.136; AN.v.198; Pts.i.138 (eight) Mil.332; DN-a.i.107; -nijjhānakkhanti forbearance with wrong views SN.ii.115; SN.iv.139; AN.i.189 sq.; AN.ii.191; Cnd.151; -nipāta a glance Vv-a.279; -nissaya the foundation of speculation MN.i.137; DN.ii.137 sq.; -pakkha the side or party of sophists Ne.53, Ne.88, Ne.160; -paṭilābha the attainment of speculation MN.iii.46; -paṭivedha = prec DN.iii.253; -patta one who has formed (a right or wrong view DN.iii.105, DN.iii.254; MN.i.439; AN.i.74; AN.i.118, AN.iv.10; AN.v.23 -parāmasa perversion by false doctrine Dhs.1498 -maṇḍala the circle of speculative dogmatics Dhs-a.109 -vipatti failure in theory, the 3rd of the four vipattiyo viz. sīla˚, ācāra˚, d.˚, ājīva˚; opp. ˚sampadā Vin.v.98; DN.iii.213; AN.i.95, AN.i.268; Pp.21; Dhs.1362; Vb.361 -vipallāsa contortion of views AN.ii.52; -visaṃyoga disconnection with false doctrine DN.iii.230, DN.iii.276; -visuddhi beauty of right theory AN.i.95; MN.i.147 sq.; DN.iii.214 DN.iii.288; -visūka (nt.) the discord or disunion (lit. the going into parties) of theories, the (?) puppet-show of opinion MN.i.8, MN.i.486; Snp.55 (= dvāsaṭṭhi diṭṭhigatāni), K S ii.44; Vv.84#26; Pv.iv.1#37; Cnd.301 (= vīsati-vattukā sakkāyadiṭṭhi); cp. Cnd.25 (attānudiṭṭhi); Dhs.381 (cp. Dhs. trsl. p. 101), Dhs.1003, Dhs.1099. See also ˚gata; -vyasana failing or misfortune in theory (+ sīla˚, in character) DN.iii.235 Cnd.304; -saṃyojana the fetter or bond of empty speculation (cp. ˚anusaya) DN.iii.254; AN.iv.7 sq.; -saṅghāta the weft or tangle of wrong views (cp. ˚gaṇṭhi) Mnd.343 Cnd.503; -samudaya the origin of wrong views AN.iv.68 -sampadā success in theory, blessing of right views attainment of truth DN.iii.213; DN.iii.235 (opp. ˚vipatti), SN.v.30 sq.; AN.i.95, AN.i.269; AN.iii.438; AN.iv.238; Pp.25; Dhs.1364; Vv-a.297; -sampanna endowed with right views SN.ii.43, SN.ii.58, SN.ii.80; SN.v.11; AN.iii.438 sq.; AN.iv.394; Vb.366 Dialogues iii.206, n. 10; -sārin (adj.) following wrong views Snp.911.
Sk. dṛṣṭi; cp. dassana