- lit. heavy, opp. lahu light, applied to bhāra, a load SN.iii.26; Ja.i.196 (= bhārika); Ja.vi.420; Dhp-a.i.48; Sdhp.494 (rūpagarubhāra the heavy load of “form”). Compar. garutara (as against Sk. garīyaṃ Pv-a.191
- fig. important, to be esteemed, valued or valuable AN.iii.110 sq. (piya manāpa g. bhavanīya) c. gen. or-˚ bent on (often in sequence ˚garu, ˚ninna ˚poṇa, etc., e.g. Vism.135); pursuing, paying homage to, reverent; (or) esteemed by, honoured, venerated Satthugaru esteeming the Lord; Dhamma˚, Sanghe g. AN.iii.331 = AN.iv.28 sq.; dosa˚ SN.i.24; kodha˚, saddhamma˚ (pursuing, fostering) AN.ii.46 sq. = AN.ii.84 sq. Sdhp.1 (sabba-loka˚ worshipped by all the world) Dpvs.iv.12
■ agaru (c. gen.) irreverent towards Snp.p.51 (Gotamassa). Cp. garuka, gārava; also agaru agalu.
N. a venerable person, a teacher: garunaṃ dassanāya & sakāsaṃ Snp.325, Snp.326 (variant reading garūnaṃ to be preferred, so also Snp-a.332, Snp-a.333); garūnaṃ dārā Iti.36-garukaroti (for garuṃ k˚) to esteem, respect, honour usually in series sakkaroti g˚ māneti pūjeti Vin.ii.162; MN.i.31; DN.i.91; AN.iii.76; AN.iv.276; Cnd.334 (on namati), Cnd.530 (on yasassin); Pv-a.54. Expl. at DN-a.i.256 by gāravaṃ karoti. -garukātabba worthy of esteem Pv-a.9
■ garukāra (sakkāra g. mānana vandana esteem, honour, regard Pp.19 = Dhs.1121
■ See also guru.
- -upanissita (adj.) depending on a teacher, one being taught Pts.ii.202;
- -ṭṭhāniya one who takes the place of a teacher AN.iii.21, AN.iii.393; Ne.8; Vism.344.
- -dhamma a rule to be observed. There are 8 chief rules enum at Vin.ii.255 = AN.iv.276, AN.iv.280; see also Vin.iv.51, Vin.iv.315 Vin.v.136. Taken in the sense of a violation of these rules Vin.i.49 = Vin.ii.226; Vin.i.52, Vin.i.143, Vin.i.144; Vin.ii.279;
- -nissaya in ˚ṃ gaṇhāti to take up dependency on a teacher, i.e. to consider oneself a pupil Vin.ii.303;
- -saṃvasa association with a teacher Cnd.235 Cnd.4˚; Mil.408.
Vedic guru; Gr. βαρύς, Lat. gravis & brutus, Goth. kaurus