the nose; usually in its function as organ of smell = sense of smell (either in phrase ghānena gandhaṃ ghāyati: to smell an odour by means of the nose; or in ghana-viññeyyā gandhā odours which are sensed by the nose). In the enum. of the senses gh. is always mentioned in the 3rd place (after cakkhu & sota, eye & ear); see under rūpa. In this connection: Vin.i.34; DN.i.21, DN.i.245 DN.iii.102, DN.iii.244 sq.; SN.i.115; MN.i.112, MN.i.191; MN.ii.42; Dhp.360 Pp.20; Mil.270; Vism.444 sq. (with defn)
■ In other connections: Pv.ii.2#4 (ghāna-chinna, one whose nose is cut off).
- -āyatana the organ of smell DN.iii.243, DN.iii.280; Dhs.585 Dhs.605, Dhs.608;
- -indriya the sense of smell DN.iii.239; Dhs.585 etc. (as above);
- -dhātu the element of smell Dhs as above;
- -viññāṇa perception of smell Dhs.443, Dhs.608 Dhs.628;
- -samphassa contact with the sense of smell SN.i.115; DN iii. & Dhs as above.
Sk. ghrāṇa to ghrā, see ghāyati. On n for ṇ cp. Trenckner, Notes, p. 81