- (cp. kappa ii.1a) according to rule, right, suitable, fitting, proper, appropriate (Pv-a.26 = anucchavika paṭirūpa) Ja.i.392; DN-a.i.9; Pv-a.25 Pv-a.141
■ a˚; not right, not proper, unlawful Vin.i.45 Vin.i.211; Vin.ii.118; Vin.iii.20; (nt) that which is proper AN.i.84; Dhs.1160; - a˚; ibid; -kappiyākappiya (nt) that which is proper and that which is not Ja.i.316; DN-a.i.78.
- (cp. kappa ii.1b) connected with time, subject to kappa, i.e. temporal, of time, subject to saṃsāra; of devamanussā Snp.521; na + of the Muni Snp.914. In another sense (“belonging to an Age”) in cpd. paṭhama ˚-kāla the time of the first Age Ja.ii.352
■ a˚; delivered from time, free from saṃsāra, epithet of an Arahant Snp.860 cp. Mil.49, Mil.50. See also kappika.
- -ānuloma (nt.) accordance with the rule Ne.192
- -kāraka “one who makes it befitting,” i.e. who by offering anything to a Bhikkhu, makes it legally acceptable Vin.i.206;
- -kuṭī (f.) a building outside the Vihāra wherein allowable articles were stored, a kind of warehouse Vin.i.139; Vin.ii.159;
- -dāraka a boy given to the Bhikkhus to work for them in the Vihāra DN-a.i.78 (variant reading BB ˚kāraka);
- -bhaṇḍa utensils allowable to the Bhikkhus Ja.i.41; Dhp-a.i.412. a˚; thing unauthorised Vin.ii.169; a list of such forbidden articles is found at Vin.i.192;
- -bhūmi (f.) a plot of ground set apart for storing (allowable) provisions Vin.i.239 (cp. ˚kuṭi)
- -lesa [cp. Sk. kalpya] guile appropriate to one’s own purpose Vv-a.348;
- -saññin a˚ imagining as lawful (that which is not) AN.i.84; a˚; opp. ibid -˚tā the imagining as lawful (that which is not) appl. to kukkucca Dhs.1160 a˚; opp. ibid.