v. irreg. Of the endless variety of forms given by grammarians only the foll. are bona fide and borne out by passages from our texts (when bracketed found in gram. works only).
- Ind. Pres karomi, etc. Snp.78, Snp.216, Snp.512, Snp.666 = Dhp.306 = Iti.42 Opt. kare Dhp.42, Dhp.43, pl. (kareyyāma) kareyyātha Snp.p.101; or (sing.) kareyya (freq.), kareyyāsi Pv-a.11 kareyya Snp.920, Snp.923; kuriyā (= Sk. kuryāt) Ja.vi.206 Ppr. karan Dhp.136, or karonto (f. karontī) Dhp.16, Dhp.116
- Impf. (akara, etc.).
- Aor. (akaṃ) akariṃ etc., 3rd sing. akāsi Snp.343, Snp.537, 2nd pl. akattha Pv.i.11#2; Pv-a.45, Pv-a.75; 3rd pl. akariṃsu; akaṃsu Snp.882; Pv-a.74; without augment kari Dhp-a.ii.59. Prohibitive mā (a)kāsi Snp.339, Snp.1068, etc.
- Imper. karohi Snp.p.32; Snp.p.1062; karotha Snp.223; Kp-a.168.
- Fut karissāmi, etc.; kassāmi Pv.iv.1#39; kāsaṃ Ja.iv.286 Ja.vi.36; kāhāmi (in sense of I will do, I am determined to do, usually w. puññaṃ & kusalaṃ poetical only) Pv.ii.11#3; Vv.33#192; second sing. kāhasi Snp.427, Snp.428; Dhp.154 1st pl. kāhāma Pv.iv.10#11.
- Inf. kātuṃ Pv-a.4, Pv-a.61 Pv-a.69, Pv-a.115, Kp.vi.10, etc.; kattuṃ Vv-a.13; kātave Mhvs.35, Mhvs.29; Vv.44#15 (= kātuṃ); kātuye Thig.418.
- Pp kata, see sep.
- Ger. katvā Snp.127, Snp.661, Snp.705, etc. katvāna (poet.) Snp.89, Snp.269, Pv.i.1#3; karitvā see iv.
- Ind. pres. (kubbe, etc.) 3rd sing. kubbati Snp.168, Snp.811; 3rd pl. kubbanti Snp.794; or 3rd sing kurute Snp.94, Snp.796, Snp.819; Iti.67; Opt. (kubbe, etc.) second pl. kubbetha Snp.702, Snp.719, Snp.917; Iti.87; or 3rd sing kayirā Snp.728 = Snp.1051; SN.i.24; Dhp.53, Dhp.117; kayirātha (always expl. by kareyya) Dhp.25, Dhp.117; Iti.13; Pv.i.11#11 Kp-a.224; kubbaye Snp.943
ppr (kurumāna, kubbāno karāno) (a)kubbaṃ Snp.844, Snp.913; (a)kubbanto Iti.86; f. (vi)kubbantī Vv.11#2; (a)kubbamāna Snp.777 Snp.778, Snp.897; (vi)kubbamāna Vv.33#1.
- Impf. (akariṃ second sing. akarase, etc.) 3rd sing. akubbatha Pv.ii.13#18 1st pl. akaramhase Ja.iii.26, ˚a Dhp-a.i.145.
- Aor (none)
- Imper. (second sing. kurussu, 3rd sing. kurutaṃ second pl. kuruvho) 3rd sing. kurutaṃ (= Sk. kurutāṃ Ja.vi.288.
- Fut. (none).
- Ind. pres (karīyati, etc.) kayirati Dhp.292 = Thag.635; Kp-a.168 and kīrati Thag.143. Ppr. (karīyamāna, kayīra˚).
- Fut. kariyissati Vin.i.107.
- Grd. karaṇīya (q.v.), (kayya) kātabba Dhp-a.i.338.
IV. Caus. I
(Denom. to kāra) kārayati = kāreti, in origin. meaning of build, construct, and fig. perform, exercise, rule wield (rajjaṃ): kārehi Pv-a.81 (of huts), kārayissāmi Pv.ii.6#4 (of doll); kāressaṃ Ja.v.297 (do.), akārayi Pv.ii.13#10; akārayuṃ Mhvs.iv.3; akāresi Mhvs.23, Mhvs.85 kāretuṃ Pv-a.74; kārayamāna Vv-a.9 (of chair); kāretvā (nāmaṃ) Pv-a.162; karitvā Snp.444 (vasiṃ) Snp.674; Snp.680 (vittiṃ); Snp.p.97 (uttarāsangaṃ).
V. Caus. II
Kārāpeti SN.i.179; Pv-a.20; Aor. kārāpesi he had (= caused to be) erected, constructed Vin.ii.159; fut. kārāpessāmi Mhvs.20, Mhvs.9; ger. kārāpetvā Pv-a.123; grd. kārapetabba Vin.ii.134.
Meanings of karoti:
- to build, erect Mhvs.19, Mhvs.36 Mhvs.20, Mhvs.9 (Caus.).
- to act, perform, make, do Vin.i.155; Ja.i.24; Ja.ii.153 (tathā karomi yathā na… I prevent cp. lat. facio ne…); Ja.iii.297; Pv.i.8#8 = Pv.ii.6#19; Mhvs.3, Mhvs.1; Mhvs.7, Mhvs.22.
- to produce Dhp-a.i.172.
- to write, compose Ja.vi.410; Pv-a.287.
- to put on, dress Vin.ii.277; Ja.i.9.
- to impose (a punishment) Mhvs.4, Mhvs.14.
- to turn into (with loc. or two acc.) Ja.ii.32; Mhvs.9, Mhvs.27.
- to use as (with two acc.) Ja.i.113; Ja.ii.24.
- to bring into (with loc.) Ja.v.454 Ja.v.10. to place (with loc.) Ja.v.274; (with acc. of the person Dhp.162.)
It is very often used periphrastically, where the translation would simply employ the noun as verb, e.g. kathaṃ k˚ DN.ii.98; kodhaṃ k˚ and kopaṃ k˚ to be angry Ja.iv.22; Ja.vi.257; cayaṃ k˚ to hoard up; corikaṃ k˚ to steal Vin.i.75; taṇhaṃ k˚ (c. loc.) to desire Ja.i.5 sītaṃ k˚ to cool DN.ii.129
■ It is often compd with nouns or adjectives with a change of final vowel to ī (i) uttāni˚ to make clear DN.ii.105; pākaṭī˚, bahulī˚ muṭṭhī˚, etc. (q.v.). Cp. the same process in conn with bhavati
■ The meanings of karoti are varied according to the word with which it is connected; it would be impossible and unnecessary to give an exhaustive list of all its various shades. Only a few illustrations may suffice: aṃse k˚ to place on one’s shoulder Ja.i.9; antarāyaṃ k˚ to prevent Ja.i.232; ādiṃ k˚ (c. acc.) to begin with; nimittaṃ k˚ to give a hint DN.ii.103; pātarāsaṃ k˚ to breakfast; mānasaṃ k˚ to make up one’s mind; mahaṃ k˚ to hold a festival DN.ii.165; massuṃ k˚ to trim the beard Dhp-a.i.253; musāvādaṃ k˚ to tell a lie Ja.vi.401; rajjaṃ k˚ to reign SN.i.218 vase k˚ to bring into one’s power Ja.i.79; sandhiṃ k˚ to make an agreement Mhvs.16; sinehaṃ k˚ to become fond of Ja.i.190
■ Similarly, cpd with adverbs: alaṃ k˚ to make much of, i.e. to adorn, embellish; dūrato k˚ to keep at a distance, i.e. keep free from Pv-a.17 Sdhp.287; purak k˚ (purakkharoti) to place before, i.e. to honour Pv.iii.7#1
■ Note phrase kiṃ karissati what difference does it make? (Cp. Ger. was macht’s) DN.i.120 or what about… Ja.i.152.
Sk. karoti, *qṷer to form, to build (or plait, weave? see kamma), cp. kar-man, Lith. kùrti to build, O.Tr. cruth form; Lat. corpus, with p-addition as Sk. kṛpa, kḷp = kṛp. Derived are kalpa → kappa kalpate → kappeti