receiving, getting, acquisition, gain, possession; pl. possessions DN.i.8; DN.ii.58, DN.ii.61; MN.i.508 (ārogya-paramā lābhā); MN.iii.39; AN.i.74; AN.iv.157 sq., AN.iv.160 (lābhena abhibhūto pariyādinnacitto Devadatto, cp Ja.i.185 sq.); Snp.31, Snp.438, Snp.828, Snp.854, Snp.1014, Snp.1046 (cp. Cnd.548); Iti.67 (vitta˚); Ja.iii.516 (yasa˚, dhana˚); Vism.93 Vism.136 (˚ṃ labhati), Vism.150 (˚assa bhāgin getting riches) Pv-a.113, Pv-a.280
■ A dat. sg. lābhā (for lābhāya) is used adverbially with foll. genitive in meaning of “for my (our) gain,” “it is profitable,” “good for me that” etc.; e.g. Mil.17 (lābhā no tāta, suladdhaṃ no tāta), Mil.232 (lābhā vata tāsaṃ devatānaṃ); AN.iii.313 (lābhā vata me suladdhaṃ vata me), explained at Vism.223; Dhp-a.i.98 (lābhā vata me, elliptically); Dhp-a.ii.95 (l. vata no ye mayaṃ… upaṭṭhahimha).
- -agga highest gain Ja.iii.125; Mil.21.
- -āsā desire for gain AN.i.86.
- -kamyā (abl. out of desire for gain Snp.854 Snp.929 (= lābha-hetu Mnd.389).
- -taṇhā craving for possession Dhp-a.iv.38.
- -macchariya selfishness in acquisitions AN.iii.273; DN.iii.234; Pp.19, Pp.23; Dhs.1122
- -mada pride of gain Vb-a.466.
- -sakkāra gain and honour, usually combined with
- -siloka fame; the two first e.g. at Vin.ii.196; Iti.73; Ja.i.185, Ja.i.186; Ja.v.75; the three combined e.g. at MN.i.192; SN.ii.227, SN.ii.237; AN.ii.73; AN.iii.343 sq., AN.iii.377; Vb.352 sq.; lābha -siloka alone at Vism.67.