- to tread on, trample on (acc.), crush Ja.iii.245 Ja.iii.372 (ppr. maddamāna); Dhp-a.ii.66.
- to defeat destroy Snp.770 (= abhibhavati Mnd.12); Cnd.85 (madditvā = abhibhuyya); Snp-a.450; Mhvs.1, Mhvs.41
■ fig. to crush a heresy: vādaṃ m. Mhvs.36, Mhvs.41.
- to neglect (an advice), spurn Ja.iii.211 (ovādaṃ).
- to mix up knead, jumble together Dhp-a.ii.155.
- to thresh Ja.i.215.
- to break down, upset Ja.i.500 (vatiṃ, a fence).
- to draw together (a net) Ja.i.208
caus 1 maddeti to cause to be trampled on Mhvs.29. 4 (aor maddayi)
caus 2 maddāpeti to cause to be threshed Vin.ii.180
pp maddita. See also pari˚.
cp. Vedic mṛd to crush: see etym. under mattikā