adverb wrongly, in a wrong way, wrong-, false Snp.438 (laddho yaso), Snp.815 (paṭipajjati leads a wrong course of life, almost syn with anariyaṃ. Illustrated by “pāṇaṃ hanati, adinnaṃ ādiyati, sandhiṃ chindati, nillopaṃ harati, ekāgārikaṃ karoti, paripanthe tiṭṭhati, paradāraṃ gacchati, musā bhaṇati” at Mnd.144); Vb-a.513 (˚ñāṇa, ˚vimutti) -micchā˚; often in same combinations as sammā˚; with which contrasted, e.g. with the 8 parts of (an-) ariya-magga viz. -diṭṭhi (wrong) views (DN.iii.52, DN.iii.70 sq., DN.iii.76, DN.iii.111 DN.iii.246, DN.iii.269, DN.iii.287, DN.iii.290, Dhp.167, Dhp.316 sq.; Pp.39; Vism.469 (def.) Pv-a.27, Pv-a.42, Pv-a.54, Pv-a.67; cp. ˚ka one who holds wrong views DN.iii.45, DN.iii.48, DN.iii.264; Vism.426); -saṅkappa aspiration (DN.iii.254, DN.iii.287, DN.iii.290 sq., Dhp.11); -vācā speech (ibid.); -kammanta conduct (ibid.); -ājīva living (DN.iii.176 sq., DN.iii.254, DN.iii.290; AN.ii.53, AN.ii.240, AN.ii.270, AN.iv.82); -vāyāma effort (DN.iii.254, DN.iii.287, DN.iii.290 sq.); -sati mindfulness (ibid.) -samādhi concentration (ibid.); see magga 2, and cp the following:
- -gahaṇa wrong conception, mistake Ja.iii.304.
- -cāra wrong behaviour Pp.39 (& adj. cārin); Vb-a.383 (var degrees).
- -paṭipadā wrong path (of life) Pp.49 (adj.: ˚paṭipanna, living wrongly).;
- -paṇihita (citta wrongly directed mind Dhp.42 = Ud.39 [cp. BSk. mithyāpraṇidhāna Divy.14].
- -patha wrong road, wrong course Vb.145 (lit. & fig.; in exegesis of diṭṭhi, cp Nd ii.taṇhā iii.; Dhs.381; Dhs-a.253).