adverb variously differently.
- (abs.) AN.i.138 (on different sides, viz right ↔ left). Snp.878 (= na ekaṁ Snp-a.554 = vividhaṁ aññoññaṁ puthu na ekaṁ Mnd.285), Snp.884 sq.
- more frequently in compounds, as first part of adj. or n. where it may be trsld as “different, divers, all kinds of” etc Before a double cons. the final ā is shortened: nānagga (for nānā + agga), nānappakāra etc. see below.
- -agga (-rasa) all the choicest delicacies Ja.i.266 (˚bhojana, of food); Ja.vi.366; Pv-a.155 (˚dibbabhojana)
- -ādhimuttikatā diversity of dispositions DN-a.i.44 Ne.98;
- -āvudhā (pl.) various weapons Ja.i.150;
- -karaṇa difference, diversity Vin.i.339 (sangha˚); MN.ii.128 cp. Divy.222;
- -gotta of all kinds of descent Pv.ii.9#16
- -citta of varying mind Ja.i.295 (itthiyo);
- -jana all kinds of folk Snp.1102; Mnd.308 (puthu˚);
- -titthiya of var. sects DN.iii.16 sq.;
- -pakkāra various, manifold Ja.i.52 (sakuṇā), Ja.i.127, Ja.i.278 (phalāni); DN-a.i.148 (āvudhā); Pv-a.50, Pv-a.123 Pv-a.135;
- -ratta multi-coloured Snp.287; Ja.vi.230;
- -rasā (pl. all kinds of dainties Pv.ii.9#11;
- -vāda difference of opinion DN.i.236;
- -vidha divers, various, motley Pv-a.53, Pv-a.96 Pv-a.113, and passim;
- -saṃvāsaka living in a different part or living apart Vin.i.134 sq. (opp. samāna˚), Vin.i.321; Vin.ii.162. Nabhi & Nabhi
Ved. nānā, a redupl. nā (emphatic particle, see na1) “so and so,” i.e. various, of all kinds