- adequacy, accomplishment, sufficiency capability, competency; indriya-paro˚; efficiency in the (knowledge of) thoughts of others SN.v.205; Ne.101 Three accomplishments are distinguished at DN-a.i.21 sq. viz. alagadd-ûpamā (like a serpent), nissaraṇatthā (on account of salvation) and bhaṇḍâgārika˚ (of a treasurer) apariyatti-kara bringing no advantage Dhp-a.i.71.
- accomplishment in the Scriptures, study (learning by heart) of the holy texts Vism.95. Also the Scriptures themselves as a body which is handed down through oral tradition. In this meaning the word is only found in later, dogmatic literature; -tīsu piṭakesu tividho pariyatti-bhedo DN-a.i.21. At Snp-a.494 it is classed with paccaya dhutaṅga & adhigama; as a part of paṭibhāna at Mnd.234 = Cnd.386. pariyattiṃ uggaṇhāti to undertake the learning (of the Scriptures) Dhp-a.ii.30; cp Kp-a.91 (tipiṭaka-sabba-p
■ pabheda- dhara); Ja.ii.48 (-ṃ ṭhapetvā leaving the learning aside); Mil.115, Mil.215 Mil.345, Mil.411 (āgama˚)
■ abl. pariyattito through learning by heart Snp-a.195 (opp. to atthato according to the meaning).
- -dhamma that which belongs to the holy study, part or contents of the Scriptures, the Tipiṭaka comprising the nine divisions (see navanga Buddha-sāsana) Kp-a.191, Kp-a.193; Snp-a.328; Pv-a.2; cp. ˚sāsana.
- -dhara knowing the Scriptures by heart Mil.21.
- -dhura (= ganthadhura): see vāsadhura.
- -paṭibhānavant possessed of intelligence as regards learning the Scriptures Snp-a.111.
- -parimāṇa extent of study Snp-a.1, Snp-a.608
- -bahula clever in the study of the Dhamma AN.iii.86
- -bahussuta versed in the Scriptures Snp-a.110.
- -sāsana object, instruction of the Scriptures, code of the holy Texts (cp. ˚dhamma) Mnd.143; Dhp-a.iv.39.
fr. pari + āp, cp. Epic Sk. paryāpti & P. pariyāpuṇāti