the earth. Acc to Cnd.389 syn. with jagati. It figures as the first element in enumn of the 4 elements (see dhātu 1), viz p., āpo, tejo, vāyo (earth, water, fire, wind or the elements of the extension, cohesion, heat and motion Cpd. 155). At DN.iii.87 sq.≈ Vism.418 rasa˚ is opposed to bhūmi-pappaṭaka. Otherwise it is very frequent in representing the earth as solid, firm, spacious ground See DN.ii.14, DN.ii.16; MN.i.327 sq.; SN.i.113 (p. udrīyati), SN.i.119 (id.), SN.i.186; SN.ii.133, SN.ii.169 sq.; SN.v.45, SN.v.78, SN.v.246, SN.v.456 sq. AN.ii.50; AN.iv.89, AN.iv.374, AN.v.263 sq.; Snp.307, Snp.1097; Iti.21; Dhp.41, Dhp.44, Dhp.178 (pathavyā); Pv.ii.6#6; Mil.418; Pv-a.57, Pv-a.75, Pv-a.174
■ mahā˚ MN.i.127; SN.ii.179, SN.ii.263; SN.iii.150; Ja.i.25, Ja.i.74; Ja.iii.42; Mil.187; aya˚ iron soil (of Avīci Dhp-a.i.148. In compound both paṭhavī˚ & pathavi˚.
- -ojā (paṭhavojā) sap or essence of the earth Dhp-a.ii.154.
- -kampa shaking the earth, an earthquake DN-a.i.130.
- -kampana = kampa Ja.i.47.
- -kasiṇa the earth artifice (see Dhs trsl 43) DN.iii.286.
- -dhātu the earth element (see above) DN.i.215; DN.ii.294; DN.iii.228, DN.iii.247; MN.i.185; MN.i.421; SN.ii.170; Dhs.588, Dhs.648, Dhs.962 (cp. Dhs translation 241); Ne.73, Ne.74; Vb-a.55;
- -maṇḍala the circle of the E. DN.i.134; SN.i.101; AN.iv.90.
- -rasa taste of earth SN.i.134; Snp-a.5.
- -lekha writing on (or in) carth AN.i.283 Pp.32.
- -saññā earth consciousness MN.ii.105; AN.iv.312; AN.v.7 sq., AN.v.318 sq. AN.v.353 sq.
- -sama like the earth MN.i.127, MN.i.423; Dhp.95.
Ved. pṛthivī, doublets in Pāli pathavī, puthavī, puthuvī, puṭhuvī, see Geiger, P.Gr. §§ 124, 17n. To ad. pṛthu: see puthu, prath to expand, thus lit. the broad one, breadth, expansion. Not (as Bdhgh at Vism.364 patthaṭattā pathavī, cp. Cpd. 155 even modern linguists!) to be derived fr. pattharati