neuter a flower Vin.ii.123; SN.i.204 = Ja.iii.308; Snp.2, Snp.5; Dhp.47 sq.; Dhp.377; Vism.430; Snp-a.78 (paduma˚); Vv-a.73; Pv-a.127; Sdhp.550- pupphāni (pl.) Vb-a.255 (of 32 colours, in simile), Vb-a.292 sq. (for Cetiya-worship)
■ adj. -puppha in ghana thick with flowers DN-a.i.87
■ Cp. pokkharatā.
- -ābhikiṇṇa decked with flowers Vv.64#29; Pv.ii.11#2
- -ādhāna “a ledge (on a Tope) where offerings of flowers are laid down” (Geiger, Mhvs p.355; cp. Mvu trsl. p. 2022) Mhvs.30, Mhvs.51, Mhvs.56, Mhvs.60; Mhvs.33, Mhvs.22 Reading uncertain
- -āveḷā flower-garland Vv-a.125.
- -āsava wine made from flowers, flower-liquor Ja.iv.117; Kp-a.26.
- -gandha odour of flowers Dhp.54; Dhs.625.
- -cumbaṭaka a fl cushion.
- -chaḍḍaka a remover of (dead) flowers, a rubbish-remover, a low occupation, including cleaning of privies & bins etc. Vin.iv.6; Thag.620; Ja.v.449 (= vacca-ṭṭhāna-sodhaka C.); Mil.331; Vism.194 (in simile). Cp. J.P.T.S. 1884, 89 and Mil trsl. ii.211
- -cchatta a parasol with flowers Dhp-a.i.110.
- -dāna offering of flowers Vb-a.336.
- -dāma a wreath or garland of fls. Ja.i.397; Vv-a.198.
- -dhara bearing flowers Pv.ii.12#4 (so read for T. ˚dada).
- -pañjara a cage (ornamented) with flowers Ja.v.365.
- -paṭa a cloth (embroidered) with flowers Ja.iv.283; Dhp-a.ii.45
- -palāsa a fl. heap Dhp-a.i.75.
- -bhāṇin “speaking flowers,” i.e. speaking the truth Pp.29.
- -mālā garland of fls. Snp-a.78.
- -muṭṭhi a handful of fl. Vism.432 (in simile).
- -rasa (wine-) juice made of fls., flower-liquor Vin.i.246; taste of fls. Dhs.629.
- -rāsi a heap of fls. Dhp.53.
Vedic puṣpa according to Grassmann for *puṣka fr. puṣ (?) see poseti
neuter blood: see pupphaka pupphavatī. With ref. to the menses at Ja.v.331.
cp. Class. Sk. puṣpa “les fleurs” in strī˚; the menses Am. Kośa 3, 4, 30, 233 and Mārk. Pur. 51 42. Similarly phala is used in the sense of “menstruation”: see BR s. v. phala 12