living being, life, creature DN.iii.48, DN.iii.63, DN.iii.133; SN.i.209, SN.i.224; SN.v.43, SN.v.227, SN.v.441 (mahā-samudde); AN.i.161 AN.ii.73, AN.ii.176, AN.ii.192; Snp.117, Snp.247, Snp.394, Snp.704; Dhp.246; DN-a.i.69 DN-a.i.161; Kp-a.26; Thag-a.253; Pv-a.9, Pv-a.28, Pv-a.35; Vv-a.72; Dhp-a.ii.19
■ pl. also pāṇāni, e.g. Snp.117; Dhp.270. Bdhgh’s defn of pāṇa is “pāṇanatāya pāṇā; assāsapassās’ āyatta-vuttitāyā ti attho” Vism.310.
- -ātipāta destruction of life, murder Vin.i.83 (in “dasa sikkhāpadāni,” see also sīla), Vin.i.85, Vin.i.193; DN.iii.68, DN.iii.70, DN.iii.149 DN.iii.182, DN.iii.235; MN.i.361; MN.iii.23; Snp.242; Iti.63; Ja.iii.181 Pp.39 sq.; Ne.27; Vb-a.383 (var. degrees of murder) Dhp-a.ii.19; Dhp-a.iii.355; DN-a.i.69; Pv-a.27.
- -ātipātin one who takes the life of a living being, destroying life DN.iii.82; MN.iii.22; SN.ii.167; Iti.92; Dhp-a.ii.19.
- -upeta possessed or endowed with life, alive [cp. BSk. prāṇopeta Divy.72, Divy.462 etc.] SN.i.173; Snp.157; DN-a.i.236
- -ghāta slaying life, killing, murder DN-a.i.69;
- -ghātin âtipātin Dhp-a.ii.19.
- -bhu a living being Ja.iv.494
- -bhūta = ˚bhu MN.iii.5; AN.ii.210; AN.iii.92; AN.iv.249 sq. Ja.iv.498.
- -vadha = âtipāta DN-a.i.69.
- -sama equal to or as dear as life Ja.ii.343; Dpvs.xi.26; Dhp-a.i.5.
- -hara taking away life, destructive MN.i.10 = MN.iii.97; SN.iv.206; AN.ii.116, AN.ii.143, AN.ii.153; AN.iii.163.
fr. pa + an, cp. Vedic prāṇa breath of life; P. apāna, etc.