adverb self, by oneself Vin.i.8; DN.i.12; DN-a.i.175; Snp.57, Snp.320, etc.; p. 57, 100, etc. Mhvs.7, Mhvs.63 (for f.). Also with ref. to several people e.g. Dhp-a.i.13.
- -kata made by itself, spontaneous DN.iii.137 (loka) SN.ii.19 sq. (dukkha); Ud.69 sq.
- -jāta born from oneself sprung up spontaneously Ja.i.325; Ja.ii.129.
- -pabha radiating light from oneself, a kind of devas DN.i.17 DN.iii.28 sq., DN.iii.84 sq.; Snp.404; DN-a.i.110
- -bhū self-dependent, an epithet of a Buddha Bv.xiv.1 = Ja.i.39; Mil.214, Mil.227, Mil.236; Vism.234; Snp-a.106 (f. abstr sayambhutā), Snp-a.135.
- -vara self-choice Ja.v.426.
- -vasin self-controlled, independent Bv.ii.20 = Ja.i.5; Dāvs i.22.
see etym. under sa4