- study, training, discipline Vin.iii.23; DN.i.181; AN.i.238; SN.ii.50, SN.ii.131; SN.v.378; Dhs.1004; Vb-a.344 (various)
■ sikkhaṃ paccakkhātaka one who has abandoned the precepts Vin.i.135, Vin.i.167 Vin.ii.244 sq. (cp. sikkhā-paccakkhāna Vin.ii.279, and sikkhaṃ apaccakkhāya Vin.iii.24; SN.iv.190; sikkhā apaccakkhātā, ibid.); tisso sikkhā SN.iii.83; Pts.i.46 sq. Mil.133, Mil.237; Mnd.39; explained as adhisīla-, adhicitta-and adhipaññā-sikkhā AN.i.234 sq.; Ne.126; with the synonyms saṃvara, samādhi & paññā at Vism.274.
- (as one of the 6 Vedāngas) phonology or phonetics combined with nirutti (interpretation, etymology) DN-a.i.247 = Snp-a.447.
- -ānisaṃsa whose virtue is training, praise of discipline AN.ii.243; Iti.40
- -ānusantatavutti whose behaviour is thoroughly in accordance with the discipline Ne.112
- -kāma anxious for training Vin.i.44; DN.ii.101; SN.v.154 SN.v.163; AN.i.24, AN.i.238; ˚-tā anxiety for training Ja.i.161
- -samādāna taking the precepts upon oneself Vin.i.146; Mil.162; AN.i.238 sq.; AN.iv.15; AN.v.165.
- -sājīva system of training Vin.iii.23 sq.; Pp.57.