primary meaning “to increase” (trs. intrs.); hence: to keep on, to prosper, to multiply, to grow SN.i.15 (read vaḍḍh˚ for vaṭṭ˚); SN.ii.206 (vaṇṇena), SN.iv.73, SN.iv.250; AN.v.249 (paññāya); Snp.329 (paññā ca sutañ ca); Ja.iii.131 (porāṇaṃ vaḍḍhaṃ vaḍḍhataṃ, imper. med 3rd sg.); Ja.v.66 (sadā so vaḍḍhate rājā sukka-pakkhe va candimā); Pv.i.1#2 (dātā puññena v.); Pp.71; Mil.9 Mhvs.7, Mhvs.68 (putta-dhītāhi vaḍḍhitvā having numerous sons & daughters); Mhvs.22, Mhvs.73 (ubho vaḍḍhiṃsu dārakā grew up); Snp-a.319; Pv-a.94
ppr vaḍḍhamāna 1 thriving Kp-a.119 (read as Vaḍḍh˚, Np.) 2 increasing Ja.i.199 (putta-dhītāhi); Mhvs.23, Mhvs.34 (˚chāyāyaṃ as the shadows increased)
■ See also pari˚
pp vaḍḍha, vaddha, vuḍḍha, vuddha, buḍḍha
caus 1 vaḍḍheti, in many shades of meaning, all based upon the notion of progressive motion. Thus to be translated in any of the foll. senses: to increase, to make move on (cp. vv.ll. vaṭṭeti), to bring on to, to further; to take an interest in, to indulge in, practise; to be busy with cause to prosper; to arrange; to make for; and in a general sense “to make” (cp. derivation vaḍḍhaka “maker,” i.e. tailor; vaḍḍhaki id., i.e. carpenter vaḍḍhana, etc.). The latter development into “make is late.
- to increase, to raise Snp.275 (rajaṃ); DN-a.i.115; Mhvs.29, Mhvs.66 (mangalaṃ to raise the chant); Pv-a.168 (+ brūheti).
- to cultivate (vipassanaṃ insight Ja.i.117 (aor. ˚esi); Pv-a.14.
- to rear, to bring up Mhvs.35, Mhvs.103 (aor. vaḍḍhesi).
- (with ref. to food to get ready, arrange, serve in (loc.) Ja.iii.445 (pātiyā on the dish); Ja.iv.67 (karoṭiyaṃ), Ja.iv.391.
- to exalt Ja.i.338 (akulīne vaḍḍhessati).
- to participate in, to practise, attend to, to serve (acc.) SN.ii.109 (tanhaṃ) AN.ii.54 (kaṭasiṃ to serve the cemetery, i.e. to die again and again: see refs. under kaṭasi); Vism.111 (kasiṇaṃ) 152.
- to make move on, to set into motion (for vaṭṭeti?), in tasaraṃ v. Snp-a.265, Snp-a.266.
- to take up Mhvs.26, Mhvs.10 (kuntaṃ)
caus 2 vaḍḍhāpeti: 1 to cause to be enlarged Mhvs.35, Mhvs.119. 2 to cause to be brought up or reared Ja.i.455. 3 to have attended to Vin.ii.134 (massuṃ). 4 to cause to be made up (of food) Ja.iv.68.
Vedic vardhati, vṛdh, cp. Av. vərədaiti to increase. To this root belongs P. uddha “high up (= Gr. ορχός straight). defined at Dhtp.109 simply as “vaḍḍhane”