- (as m. & adj.) spending one’s time (sojourning or walking about), staying in a place, living place of living, stay, abode (in general) Vv-a.50 (jala˚) Pv-a.22, Pv-a.79; eka˚; living by oneself SN.ii.282 sq.; jaṅghā˚ wandering on foot Pv-a.73; divā˚; passing the time of day Snp.679; Pv-a.142. See also below 3 a.
- (applied meaning) state of life, condition, mode of life (in this meaning almost identical with that of vāsa2), e.g. ariya˚ best condition SN.v.326; Snp-a.136; dibba˚; supreme condition (of heart) Mil.225; brahma˚; divine state SN.v.326; Snp-a.136; Vism.295 sq. (ch. ix.); phāsu˚; comfort AN.iii.119 AN.iii.132; sukha˚; happiness SN.iii.8; SN.v.326; AN.i.43; AN.ii.23 AN.iii.131 sq.; AN.iv.111 sq., AN.iv.230 sq.; AN.v.10 sq. See further DN.i.145, DN.i.196; DN.iii.220 (dibba, brahma, ariya), DN.iii.250 (cha satata˚), DN.iii.281; SN.ii.273 (jhāna˚); SN.iii.235 (id.); AN.iii.294 (˚ṃ kappeti to live one’s life); Pts.ii.20; Ne.119 sq. Ne.3.
- a habitation for a Buddhist mendicant, an abode in the forest (arañña˚), or a hut; a dwelling, habitation lodging (for a bhikkhu), a single room Vin.ii.207 sq. DN.ii.7; AN.iii.51, AN.iii.299 (yathāvihāraṃ each to his apartment); Snp.220 (dūra˚ a remote shelter for a bhikkhu), Snp.391; Vism.118 (different kinds; may be taken as c.)-
- place for convention of the bhikkhus, meeting place; place for rest & recreation (in garden or park DN-a.i.133
- (later) a larger building for housing bhikkhus, an organized monastery, a Vihāra Vin.i.58 Vin.iii.47; SN.i.185 (˚pāla the guard of the monastery) Ja.i.126; Mil.212; Vism.292; Dhp-a.i.19 (˚cārikā visit to the monastery), Dhp-a.i.49 (˚pokkharaṇī), Dhp-a.i.416; Mhvs.19, Mhvs.77; Pv-a.12, Pv-a.20, Pv-a.54, Pv-a.67, Pv-a.141, Pv-a.151; and passim. See also Dictionary of Names. The modern province Behar bears its name from the vihāras. Viharaka = vihara