“the (way of) making”, i.e.
- state, condition Ja.i.237 (avasan˚ condition of inhabitability); Ja.ii.154 (patan˚ state of falling, labile equilibrium) cp. paṇṇ˚
- property, quality, attribute DN.i.76 (anāvila sabb˚-sampanna endowed with all good qualities, of a jewel); DN.ii.157 (˚varûpeta); Ja.ii.352 (sabb˚ paripuṇṇa altogether perfect in qualities)
- sign, appearance form, DN.i.175; Ja.i.266 (chātak˚ sign of hunger); Mil.24 (˚ena by the sign of…); Vv-a.27 (therassa ā. form of the Th.); Pv-a.90, Pv-a.283 (rañño ā. the king’s person) Sdhp.363
- way, mode, manner, sa-ākāra in all their modes DN.i.13 = DN.i.82 = DN.iii.111; Ja.i.266 (āgaman˚ the mode of his coming). Esp. in instr. sg. & pl. with; num. or pron. (in this way, in two ways etc.): chah’ākārehi in a sixfold manner Cnd.680 (cp. kāraṇehi in same sense) Ne.73, Ne.74 (dvādasah’ākārehi); Vism.613 (navah’ākārehi indriyāni tikkhāni bhavanti); Pv-a.64 (yen’ākārena āgato ten’ākārena gato as he came so he went), Pv-a.99 (id.).
- reason, ground, account DN.i.138, DN.i.139; Ne.4, Ne.8 sq. Ne.38; Dhp-a.i.14; Kp-a.100 (in expln. of evaṃ). In this meaning freq. with dass (dasseti, dassana, nidassana etc. in commentary style “what is meant by”, the (statement of) reason why or of, notion, idea Pv-a.26 (dātabb˚dassana), Pv-a.27 (thoman˚-dassana), Pv-a.75 (kāruññ ˚ṃ dassesi), Pv-a.121 (pucchan˚-nidassanaṃ what has been asked); Snp-a.135 (˚nidassana).
- -parivitakka study of conditions, careful consideration examination of reasons SN.ii.115; SN.iv.138; AN.ii.191 Cnd.151.
a + karoti, kṛ.