as pp. guarded, protected
- lit nagaraṃ guttaṃ a well-guarded city Dhp.315 = Thag.653 Thag.1005; Devinda˚ protected by the Lord of gods Vv.30#8-
- fig. (med.) guarded, watchful, constrained guarded in, watchful as regards… (with loc. SN.iv.70 (agutta & sugutta, with danta, rakkhita) AN.iii.6 (atta˚ self-controlled); Snp.250 (sotesu gutto vijitindriyo), Snp.971 (id. + yatacārin); Dhp.36 (cittaṃ).
as n. agent (= Sk. goptṛ, cp. kata in kāla-kata kāḷaṃ kartṛ) one who guards or observes, a guardian in Dhammassa gutta Dhp.257, observer of the Norm (expl. Dhp-a.iii.282: dhammojapaññāya samannāgata) cp. dhammagutta SN.i.222.
- -indriya one whose senses are guarded; with well-guarded senses Snp.63 (+ rakkhita-mānasāno; expl Snp-a: chassu indriyesu gopitindriyo); Cnd.230; Vv.50#15; Pv.iv.1#32;
- -dvāra “with guarded doors” always in combination with indriyesu g-d. having the doors of the senses guarded, practising. self-control DN.i.63≈(explained DN-a.i.182 by pihita-dvāro), DN.i.70; SN.ii.218; SN.iv.103, SN.iv.112 SN.iv.119 sq., SN.iv.175; Snp.413 (+ susaṃvuta); Pp.24. Cp. foll.
- -dvāratā (f. abstr. to prec.) in indriyesu g˚ self constraint, control over (the doors of) one’s senses, always combined with bhojane mattaññutā (moderation in taking food) DN.iii.213; Iti.24; Pp.20, Pp.24; Dhs.1347; Pv-a.163 Opp. a˚; lack of sense-control DN.iii.213; Iti.23; Dhs.1345.
Sk. gupta, pp. of gup in med. pass. sense, cp. gopeti