festive gathering, fair a show, theatrical display. Originally a mountain cult as it was esp. held on the mountains near Rājagaha. Ja.ii.13; Ja.iii.541; Ja.vi.277, Ja.vi.559; SN.v.170; DN-a.i.84; Dhp-a.iv.59; Dhs-a.255
■ On character and history of the festival see Hardy, Album Kern pp. 61–66
■ gir-aggasamajjaṃ mountain fair Vin.ii.107, Vin.ii.150; Vin.iv.85, Vin.iv.267, Vin.iv.360; Dhp-a.i.89, Dhp-a.i.113. samajjaṃ karoti or kāreti to hold high revel Ja.vi.383.
- -ābhicaraṇa visiting fairs DN.iii.183.
- -ṭṭhāna the place of the festival, the arena, Vin.ii.150; Ja.i.394;
- -dāna giving festivals Mil.278
- -majjhe on the arena SN.iv.306f. Ja.iii.541
- -maṇḍala the circle of the assembly Ja.i.283f.
cp. Epic Sk. samāja (fr. saṃ + aj) congregation, gathering, company