- doing, acting, working; work, business, occupation profession. paṭicchanna˚ of secret acting Snp.127 Vb.357; as being punished in Niraya AN.i.60; SN.iv.180 as occupation esp. in pl. kammantā: SN.v.45 = SN.v.135; Dhp-a.i.42 (kammantā nappavattanti, no business proceeds all occupations are at a standstill); anākula Snp.262 = Kp.v.5; abbhantarā k˚ uṇṇā ti vā, kappāsā ti vā as housework, falling to the share of the wife AN.iii.37 = AN.iv.365; khetta˚ occupation in the field AN.iii.77; see also DN.i.71; MN.iii.7; SN.i.204; Mil.9, Mil.33 and below; as place of occupation: Snp.p.13, Pv-a.62 Phrases: ˚ṃ adhiṭṭhāti to look after the business AN.i.115; Pv-a.141; jahati give up the occupation SN.iv.324; Pv-a.133; ˚ṃ payojeti to do or carry on business DN.i.71; DN.ii.175; DN.iii.66, DN.iii.95; AN.iii.57; ˚ṃ pavatteti to set a business on foot Pv-a.42 (and vicāreti: Pv-a.93); ˚ṃ saṃvidahati to provide with work AN.iv.269 = AN.iv.272 Mhvs.vi.16.
- deed, action in ethical sense kamma, character, etc., Kh.136 (k˚ = kamma); pāpa˚ doing wrong Pv.iv.81; Pv.iv.161; Ja.vi.104 (opp. puñña˚) as specified by kāya˚ vacī ˚mano˚ AN.v.292 sq.; Vv-a.130 (in parisuddha-kāya-kammantatā); dhammikā k˚ā MN.ii.191; ākiṇṇa-k˚ (evam-) of such character SN.i.204 kurūra-k˚ (adj.) of cruel character AN.iii.383 = Pp.56 (in def. of puggalo orabbhiko); sammā˚; of right doing opp. micchā˚, as constituting one element of character as pertaining to “Magga” (: q.v.) DN.ii.216; SN.ii.168 SN.v.1; AN.iii.411; Bdhd 135; expl. as kāya-kamma (= sīla 1–3) at SN.v.9 = Vb.105; Vb.235; as kāya-duccaritehi ārati virati… Vb.106.
- -ādhiṭṭhāyika superintendent of work Dhp-a.i.393
- -ṭṭhāna: 1 the spot where the ceremonies of the Ploughing Festival take place Ja.i.57 2 the common ground of a village, a village bazaar Ja.iv.306;
- -dāsa a farm-servant Ja.i.468;
- -bheri the drum announcing the (taking up of) business Dhp-a.iii.100;
- -vipatti “failure of action,” evil-doing AN.i.270 opp.
- -sampadā “perfection of action, right-doing” AN.i.271;
- -saṃvidhāna the providing of work DN.iii.191 (one of the 5 duties of the gahapati).
Sk. karmānta; kamma + anta, cp. anta 14.