- as adv. (˚-) beyond, over, across, used as prep. with abl., e.g. pāra-Gangāya beyond the G. SN.i.207, SN.i.214; Snp-a.228. See under cpds
- as nt. the other side, the opposite shore SN.i.169 SN.i.183; Snp.1059; Mnd.20 (= amataṃ nibbānaṃ); Dhp.385; Dhp-a.iv.141 aparā pāraṃ gacchati to go from this side to the other (used with ref. to this world & the world beyond) SN.iv.174; AN.v.4; Snp.1130; pāraṃ gavesino MN.ii.64 = Thag.771–Thag.773. Cases adverbially: acc. pāraṃ see sep.; abl. pārato from the other side Vin.ii.209
- the guṇa form of para, another: see compounds:
- -atthika (pār’) wishing to cross beyond DN.i.244
- -ga “going beyond,” traversing, crossing, surmounting SN.iv.71 (jātimaraṇassa); Snp.32, Snp.997.
- -gata one who has reached the opposite shore SN.i.34; SN.ii.277 SN.iv.157; AN.iv.411; Snp.21, Snp.210, Snp.359; Dhp.414; Vv.53#1 (cp. Vv-a.231); one who has gone over to another party Thag.209.
- -gavesin looking for the other shore Dhp.355; Dhp-a.iv.80.
- -gāmin = gata SN.i.123; AN.v.232 sq. AN.v.253 sq.; Dhp-a.ii.160.
- -gū (a) gone beyond, i.e. passed transcended, crossed SN.i.195 = Cnd.136#a (dukkhassa), SN.iv.210 (bhavassa); AN.ii.9 (id.); AN.iii.223; Iti.33 (jarāya) Dhp.348. (b) gone to the end of (gen. or -˚), reached perfection in, well-versed in, familiar with, an authority on Snp.992 (sabbadhammānaṃ), Snp.1105 (cp. Cnd.435) DN.i.88 (tiṇṇaṃ vedānaṃ); Dhp-a.iii.361 (id.).
- -dārika an adulterer, lit. one of another’s wife SN.ii.259; Ja.iii.43 (so read for para˚); Dhp-a.ii.10.