- speaking, utterance, word, bidding SN.ii.18 (alaṃ vacanāya one says rightly); SN.iv.195 (yathā bhūtaṃ); AN.ii.168; Snp.417, Snp.699 Snp.932, Snp.984, Snp.997; Mil.235; Pv.ii.2#7; Snp-a.343, Snp-a.386-mama vacanena in my name Pv-a.53
■ dubbacana a bad word Thig.418 (= dur-utta-vacana Thag-a.268)- vacanaṃ karoti to do one’s bidding Ja.i.222, Ja.i.253.
- (t. t. g.) what is said with regard to its grammatical syntactical or semantic relation, way of speech, term expression, as: āmantana˚; term of address Kp-a.167; Snp-a.435; paccatta˚; expression of sep. relation, i.e. the accusative case Snp-a.303; piya˚; term of endearment Cnd.130; Snp-a.536; puna˚; repetition Snp-a.487; vattamāna˚; the present tense Snp-a.16, Snp-a.23; visesitabba˚ qualifying (predicative) expression Vv-a.13; sampadāna˚ the dative relation Snp-a.317. At Snp-a.397 (combined with linga and other terms) it refers to the “number,” i.e. singular & plural.
- -attha word-analysis or meaning of words Vism.364; Snp-a.24.
- -kara one who does one’s bidding, obedient a servant Vv.16#5; Vv.84#21; Ja.ii.129; Ja.iv.41 (vacanaṃ-kara), Ja.v.98; Pv-a.134.
- -khama gentle in words SN.ii.282; AN.iv.32.
- -paṭivacana speech and counterspeech (i.e. reply), conversation Dhp-a.ii.35; Pv-a.83, Pv-a.92, Pv-a.117
- -patha way of saying, speech MN.i.126 (five ways, by which a person is judged: kālena vā akālena vā, bhūtena & a˚, saṇhena & pharusena, attha-saṃhitena an˚, mettacittā & dosantarā); AN.ii.117, AN.ii.153; AN.iii.163 AN.iv.277, cp. DN.iii.236; Vv.63#17 (= vacana Vv-a.262) Snp-a.159, Snp-a.375.
- -bheda variance in expression, different words, kind of speech Snp-a.169, cp. vacanamatte bhedo Snp-a.471.
- -vyattaya distinction or specification of expression Snp-a.509.
- -sampaṭiggaha “taking up together,” summing up (what has been said), résumé Kp-a.100.
- -sesa the rest of the words Pv-a.14, Pv-a.18, Pv-a.103.
fr. vac; Vedic vacana