- (adj.) (-˚) producing, causing, forming, making, doing, e.g. anta˚ putting an end to; pabhaṃ causing splendour; pāpa˚ doing evil; divā˚ & divasa the day-maker, i.e. the sun; kaṇhabhāva˚ causing a “black” existence (of pāpakamma) Ja.iv.9; padasandhi˚ forming a hiatus Pv-a.52; vacana˚, etc.
- (m) “the maker,” i.e. the hand Mhvs.5, Mhvs.255–Mhvs.256, 30, 67. -atikaraṃ (adv.) doing too much, going too far Ja.i.431; -dukkara (a) difficult to do, not easy, hard arduous SN.i.7; SN.iv.260; AN.i.286; AN.iv.31, AN.iv.135; AN.v.202 + durabhisambhavo Snp.429 Snp.701; Ud.61; (n. nt.) something difficult, a difficult task AN.i.286 (cp. AN.iv.31) Ja.i.395; Mil.121, dukkara-kārikā “doing of a hard task,” exertion, austerity MN.i.93; Cnd.262#b. -sukara easy to do SN.i.9; SN.ii.181; Dhp.163; Ud.61; na sukaraṃ w. inf. it is not easy to… DN.i.250; AN.iii.52, AN.iii.184 AN.iv.334.
- -kaṭaka (m. nt.) a hand-wheel, i.e. a pulley by which to draw up a bucket of water Vin.ii.122; cp. Vin. Texts iii.112;
- -ja “born of kamma” in karaja-kāya the body sprung from action, an expression always used in a contemptible manner, therefore = the impure, vile, low body AN.v.300; Ja.i.5; Vism.287, Vism.404; DN-a.i.113, DN-a.i.217 DN-a.i.221; Dhp-a.i.10; Dhp-a.iii.420; Dhs-a.403. karaja-rūpa Vism.326.
- -tala the palm of the hand Mhbv.6, 34
- -mara “one who ought to die from the hand (of the enemy),” but who, when captured, was spared and employed as slave; a slave Ja.iii.147, Ja.iii.361; Ja.iv.220; Dhp-a.iii.487; -˚ānītā a woman taken in a raid, but subsequently taken to wife; one of the 10 kinds of wives (see itthi) Vin.iii.140 (= dhajāhaṭā); -gāhaṃ gaṇhāti to make prisoner Ja.i.355; Ja.iii.361;
- -mita “to be measured with (two) hands,” in ˚majjhā, a woman of slender waist Ja.v.219; Ja.vi.457.