- of space: the extreme part, top, summit, point (cp. anta to which it is opposed at Ja.vi.371): dhanu-koṭiṃ nissāya “through the (curved) end of my bow,” i.e. by means of hunting Ja.ii.200; aṭṭhi-koṭi the tip of the bone Ja.iii.26; cāpa a bow Vv-a.261; vema˚ the part of a loom that is moved Dhp-a.iii.175; khetta˚ the top (end) of the field Snp-a.150 cankamana˚ the far end of the cloister Ja.iv.30; Pv-a.79
of time: a division of time, with reference either to the past or the future, in pubba˚; the past (cp pubbanta), also as purima˚; and pacchima˚; the future (cp. aparanta). These expressions are used only of saṃsāra: saṃsārassa purimā koṭi na paññāyati “the first end, i.e. the beginning of S. is not known” Cnd.664; Dhs-a.11; of pacchimā koṭi ibid
■ anamatagg âyaṃ saṃsāro, pubba˚ na paññāyati S’s end and beginning are unthinkable, its starting-point is not known (to beings obstructed by ignorance) SN.ii.178 = SN.iii.149 Cnd.664 = Kv.29 = Pv-a.166; cp. Bdhd 118 (p.k. na ñāyati)
■ koṭiyaṃ ṭhito bhāvo “my existence in the past” Ja.i.167
- of number: the “end” of the scale, i.e. extremely high, as numeral representing approximately the figure a hundred thousand (cp Kirfel, Kosmographie. p. 336). It follows on satasahassāni Cnd.664, and is often increased by sata˚ or sahassa˚, esp. in records of wealth (dhana) Snp.677; Ja.i.227, Ja.i.230, Ja.i.345 = Dhp-a.i.367 (asīti˚-vibhavo); Ja.i.478; Pv-a.3, Pv-a.96; cp. also koṭisatā arahanto Mil.6, Mil.18-kahāpaṇa-koṭi-santhārena “for the price (lit. by the spreading out) of 10 million kahāpaṇas” Vin.ii.159; Ja.i.94 (ref. to the buying of Jetavana by Anāthapiṇḍika).
- -gata “gone to the end,” having reached the end i.e. perfection, nibbāna. Cnd.436;
- -ppatta = prec Cnd.436; as “extreme” Ja.i.67.
- -simbalī Name of a tree (in Avīci) Sdhp.194.
cp. Sk. koṭi & kūṭa2