on foot, one who is on foot, a foot-soldier Vin.iv.105 (as one of the 4 constituents of a senā or army, viz. hatthī elephants, assā horses, rathā chariots, pattī infantry); Ja.iv.494 (hatthī assā, rathā, pattī); Ja.iv.463 (hatthī assā rathā, pattī senā padissate mahā); Vism.19. Cp. pattika1.
- -kāya a body of foot soldiers, infantry SN.i.72 (cp BSk. same, at Jtm.215 with hasty-aśva-ratha˚).
- -kārika (for ˚kārika, of prec.) a foot soldier, lit. one of a body of infantry Ja.iv.134; Ja.v.100; Ja.vi.15 (hatthāruhā anīkaṭṭhā rathikā pattikārikā), Ja.vi.21, Ja.vi.463 (hatthī assā rathikā p.).
Ved. patti, *pad (of pada) + ti
- (-˚) obtaining, acquiring, getting, entering into, state of SN.i.189 = Thag.1230 (nibbāna˚); Snp.68 (paramattha˚), Snp.186 (nibbāna˚); Pv-a.5 (vyasana), Pv-a.112 (id.); Sdhp.379.
- attainment, acquisition SN.ii.29 (aggassa) Snp.425 (yogakkhemassa); Cnd.390 (= lābhā paṭilābhā adhigamo phusanaṃ sacchikiriyā); esp. in phrase apattassa patti “attt of the unattained” DN.iii.255; AN.iv.332; SN.i.217; SN.ii.29; AN.ii.148; AN.iii.179; Kv.581.
- gaining, gain, profit, advantage SN.i.169 (brahma “best vantage ground”).
- merit, profit, in special sense of a gift given for the benefit of someone else (as a “dakkhiṇǡ”), accrediting, advising, transference of merit, a gift of merit Ja.ii.423, Ja.ii.425 (= dakkhiṇā); Ja.iv.21; Dhp-a.i.270 (opp. to mūla price); Dhp-a.ii.4; Dhp-a.iv.200 sq. (opp. to mūla). See also compounds ˚dāna & ˚dhamma.
- that which obtains (as a rule), occasion, happening, state place, as gram. t. t. loc. pattiyaṃ or pattiyā (-˚) in lieu of Snp-a.310, Snp-a.317
■ See sam˚.
- -dāna an assigned or accredited gift, giving of merit (as permanent acquisition), transference of merit Vv-a.188 Vv-a.190 Pv-a.9 (˚vasena dānadhamma-pariccāgo), Pv-a.49 (= dakkhiṇā) Pv-a.88 (identical); Sdhp.229
- -dhamma the practice of transferred merit ‣See Kvu translation 1611, 170, & cp. pattadhamma
- -patta, one who has obtained what can be obtained, or the highest gain (i.e. Nibbāna) Snp.536 (= pattabbaṁ patto pattabbaṁ arahattaṁ patto ti vuttaṁ hoti Snp-a.433), Snp.537, Snp.540
Classical Sk. prāpti fr. pa + āp, cp. patta3
feminine leaf, leafy part of a plant Vin.i.201 (taka, taka-patti, taka-paṇṇi).