creature, living being:
- sg. an individual, a creature person, man Snp.121, Snp.676, Snp.807, Snp.1023 (sabba everybody) Usually collectively: people, they, one (= Fr. on), with pl. of verb Dhp.249 (dadanti); often as mahājana the people, the crowd SN.i.115; Ja.i.167, Ja.i.294; Pv-a.6; lokamahājana = loka Dhp-a.iii.175; or as bahu(j)jana many people, the many AN.i.68; Dhp.320; Dhp-a.iii.175. See also puthujjana
- pl. men, persons, people, beings nānā˚ various living beings Snp.1102 (explained at Cnd.248 as khattiyā brāhmaṇā vessā suddā gahaṭṭhā pabbajitā devā manussā.) dve janā Ja.i.151; Ja.ii.105; tayo j. Ja.i.63 Ja.iii.52; keci janā some people Pv-a.20. See also Snp.243, Snp.598, Snp.1077, Snp.1121.
- -ādhipa a king of men Ja.ii.369;
- -inda = prec. Ja.iii.280 Ja.iii.294;
- -esabha the leader of men, the best of all people Dhp.255;
- -kāya a body or group of people Ja.i.28; Dhp-a.i.33 (dve j.: micchā & sammā-diṭṭhikā); Dpvs.i.40
- -pada country see sep.;
- -majjhe (loc.) before (all) the people Ja.i.294; Thig.394;
- -vāda people’s talk, gossip Snp.973.
*gené: see janati. Cp. Gr. γίνος, γόνος; Lat. genus = Fr. gens, to which also similar in meaning