congregation; time, condition, etc.
At Dhs-a.57 sq we find a detailed expln of the word samaya (s-sadda) with meanings given as follows: 1 samavāya (“harmony in antecedents” translation), 2 khaṇa (opportunity) 3 kāla (season), 4 samūha (crowd, assembly), 5 hetu (condition), 6 diṭṭhi (opinion). 7 paṭilābha (acquisition), 8 pahāna (elimination), 9 paṭivedha (penetration) Bdhgh illustrates each one with fitting examples cp. Dhs-a.61
We may group as follows:
- coming together, gathering; a crowd, multitude DN.i.178 (˚pavādaka debating hall); DN.ii.254 sq.; Mil.257; Ja.i.373; Pv-a.86 (= samāgama). samayā in a crowd Pv.iii.3#4 (so read for samayyā; Pv-a.189 “sangamma”).
- consorting with, intercourse Mil.163; Dhp-a.i.90 sabba˚; consorting with everybody Ja.iv.317.
- time, point of time, season DN.i.1; Snp.291, Snp.1015; Vin.i.15; Vb-a.157 (maraṇa˚); Vism.473 (def.)
■ samayā samayaṃ upādāya from time to time Iti.75. Cases adverbially ekaṃ samayaṃ at one time DN.i.47, DN.i.87, DN.i.111; tena samayena at that time DN.i.179; Dhp-a.i.90. aparena s. in course of time, later Pv-a.31, Pv-a.68; yasmiṃ samaye at which time DN.i.199; Dhs-a.61. ekasmiṃ samaye some time, once Ja.i.306. paccūsa˚; at daybreak Pv-a.38; aḍḍharatti˚; at midnight Pv-a.155; cp. ratta˚.
- proper time, due season, opportunity, occasion Snp.388; Vin.iv.77; Bv.ii.181; Mhvs.22, Mhvs.59; Vb-a.283 sq.; aññatra samayā except at due season Vin.iii.212; Vin.iv.77; samaye at the right time Ja.i.27
■ asamaya inopportune, unseasonable DN.iii.263, DN.iii.287.
- coincidence, circumstance MN.i.438 akkhara˚ spelling Dhp-a.i.181.
- condition, state, extent, sphere (cp. defn of Bdhgh, above 9); taken dogmatically as “diṭṭhi,” doctrine, view (equal to above defn 6) Iti.14 (imamhi samaye); Dhp-a.i.90 (jānana˚) Dāvs vi.4 (˚antara var. views). bāhira˚; state of an outsider, doctrine of outsiders, i.e. brahmanic Dhp-a.iii.392, cp. brāhmaṇānaṃ samaye DN-a.i.291; ariyānaṃ samaye Mil.229.
- end, conclusion, annihilation Snp.876; -vimutta finally emancipated AN.iii.173; AN.v.336 (a˚); Pp.11; cp. Dhs-a.57
-vasaṭha at AN.ii.41 is to be read as samavasaṭṭha, i.e. thoroughly given up. Thus Kern,
The same passage occurs at DN.iii.269 as samavaya-saṭhesana (see under saṭha).
cp. Sk. samaya, fr. saṃ + i. See also samiti