neuter lead DN.ii.351; SN.v.92; Mil.331; Vb-a.63 (= kāḷa-tipu); a leaden coin Ja.i.7; --kāra a worker in lead Mil.331; --maya leaden Vin.i.190.
cp. Sk. sīsa
- the head (of the body) Vin.i.8; AN.i.207; Snp.199, Snp.208, Snp.p.80; Ja.i.74 Ja.ii.103; sīsaṃ nahāta, one who has performed an ablution of the head DN.ii.172; Pv-a.82; āditta-sīsa, one whose turban has caught fire SN.i.108; SN.iii.143; SN.v.440; AN.ii.93 sīsato towards the head Mhvs.25, Mhvs.93; adho-sīsa, head first Ja.i.233.
- highest part, top, front: bhūmi˚; hill place of vantage Dpvs.15, 26; Ja.ii.406; caṅkamana˚ head of the cloister Vism.121; saṅgāma˚; front of the battle Pp.69; Ja.i.387; megha˚; head of the cloud Ja.i.103. In this sense also opposed to pāda (foot), e.g. sopāṇa˚; head (& foot) of the stairs Dhp-a.i.115. Contrasted with sama (plain) Pts.i.101 sq.
- chief point Pts.i.102.
- panicle, ear (of rice or crops) AN.iv.169; DN-a.i.118.
- head, heading (as subdivision of a subject), as “chanda-sīsa citta-sīsa” grouped under chanda & citta Vism.376. Usually instr; -sīsena “under the heading (or category) of,” e.g. citta˚; Vism.3; paribhoga˚; Ja.ii.24; saññā˚; Dhs-a.200; kammaṭṭhāna˚; Dhp-a.iii.159.
- -ānulokin looking ahead, looking attentively after something MN.i.147.
- -ābādha disease of the head Vin.i.270 sq.; Ja.vi.331.
- -ābhitāpa heat in the head, headache Vin.i.204.
- -kaṭāha a skull DN.ii.297 = MN.i.58 Vism.260 = Kp-a.60; Kp-a.49.
- -kalanda Mil.292 [Signification unknown; cp. kalanda a squirrel and kalandaka Ja.vi.227; a blanket [cushion?] or kerchief.
- -cchavi the skin of the head Vin.i.277.
- -cola a headcloth turban Mhvs.35, Mhvs.53.
- -cchejja resulting in decapitation AN.ii.241.
- -ccheda decapitation, death Ja.i.167; Mil.358.
- -ppacālakaṃ swaying the head about Vin.iv.188.
- -paramparāya with heads close together Dhp-a.i.49.
- -virecana purging to relieve the head DN.i.12; DN-a.i.98.
- -veṭha head wrap SN.iv.56.
- -veṭhana headcloth turban MN.ii.193; sīsaveṭha id. MN.i.244 = SN.iv.56
- -vedanā headache MN.i.243; MN.ii.193.
Vedic śīrṣa: see under sira