adverb so, thus (and not otherwise, opp. aññathā), in this way, likewise Snp.1052 (variant reading yathā); Ja.i.137, etc
■ Often with eva tath’ eva just so, still the same, not different DN.iii.135 (taṃ tath’ eva hoti no aññathā); Ja.i.263, Ja.i.278; Pv.i.8#3 Pv-a.55. Corresponding with yathā: tathā-yathā so-that Dhp.282; Pv-a.23 (tathā akāsi yathā he made that…, cp. Lat. ut consecutive); yathā-tathā asso also Snp.504; Ja.i.223; Pv.i.12#3 (yath’ āgato tathā gato as he has come so he has gone)
■ In compounds tath before vowels.
- -ūpama such like (in comparisons, following upon a preceding yathā or seyyathā) Snp.229 (= tathāvidha Kp-a.185), Snp.233; Iti.33, Iti.90;
- -kārin acting so (corresp. w yathāvādin: acting so as he speaks, cp. tāthāvādin Snp.357; Iti.122;
- -gata see sep.;
- -bhāva “the being so, such a condition Ja.i.279;
- -rūpa such a, like this or that esp. so great, such Vin.i.16; Snp.p.107; Iti.107; DN-a.i.104; Pv-a.5, Pv-a.56. nt. adv. thus Pv-a.14. Cp. evarūpa-vādin speaking so (cp. ˚kārin) Snp.430; Iti.122 (of the Tathāgata);
- -vidha such like, so (= tathārūpa) Snp.772 Snp.818, Snp.1073, Snp.1113; Cnd.277 (= tādisa taṃsaṇṭhita tappakāra).
Sk. tathā, cp. also kathaṃ