- going, proceeding Ja.vi.415 (+ ayāna, opposed to ṭhāna).
- means of motion, carriage, vehicle. Different kinds of carriages are enumerated at Mnd.145 (on Snp.816) with hatthi˚; (elephant-), go˚; (cow-), aja˚ (goat-), meṇḍaka˚; (ram-), oṭṭha˚; (camel-?), khara˚ (donkey-). Cp. Mil.276
■ yāna is one of the requisites (carriage or other means of locomotion) of the bhikkhu & as such included in the deyya-dhamma or 14 gifts (see yañña & deyya-dh.). Thus mentioned with; anna pāna vattha etc. at SN.i.94; AN.ii.85; Pp.51
■ Cp. the defn & application of the term yāna as given below under yāna-sannidhi
■ See e.g. the foll. passages Vin.i.191 (bhikkhū yānena yāyanti… na bhikkhave yānena yāyitabbaṃ; yo yāyeyya etc.: here a “carriage is expressly forbidden to the bhikkhu!), Vin.i.231 (Ambapālī bhadrāni-bhadrāni yānāni yojāpetvā bhadraṃ yānaṃ abhirūhitvā…), Vin.i.242 (same phrase with Meṇḍaka gahapati); DN.i.7, DN.i.89, DN.i.106; MN.i.366 (yānaṃ poroseyyaṃ pavara-maṇi-kuṇḍalaṃ, where vv.ll. on p. 561 read voropeyya and oropeyya, which Neumann (unwarrantedly) adopts in his translation: Mittl. Sammlung2 1921 ii.666; the C. accepts reading poroseyya with expln “puris -anucchavikaṃ yānaṃ”); Dhp.323 (= hatthiyānādīni Dhp-a.iv.6); Ja.iii.525 sq.; Ja.v.59; Ja.vi.223 (= ratha) Kv.599 (Erāvaṇo hatthināgo sahassa-yuttaṃ dibbaṃ yānaṃ; trsld as “the wondrous elephant E., the thousand-wise yoked celestial mount.” trsl. p. 347 (lit vehicle) Pv.iii.2#28 (= ratha or vayha etc. Pv-a.186) Pv-a.113
■ iddhi-yāna carriage of magic power Mil.276; deva˚; godly carriage Mil.276; applied to the 8 fold Aryan Path at Snp.139 (= devalokaṃ yāpetuṃ samatthatā… aṭṭha-samāpatti-yānaṃ Snp-a.184). Similarly of the Path: magg’ aṭṭhangika-yāna (-yāyinī) Thig.389 (= aṭṭhangika-magga-sankhāta ariya-yāna Thag-a.257); and brahma-yāna dhamma-yāna “the very best & excellent carriage” as epithet of magga SN.v.5, cp. Ja.iv.100 Cp. the later terms mahā and hīna- yāna. See also yānikata.
- -ugghata shaking or jolting of the carriage Vin.ii.276; Dhp-a.iii.283.
- -gata having ascended the carriage DN.i.126.
- -puṭosā (˚puṭoḷī) provision bag on a carriage (provision for the journey?) Vism.328 (so read for paṭṭoli).
- -bhūmi carriage-ground, i.e. the road as far as accessible to a carriage DN.i.89; Snp.418.
- -sannidhi storing up of carriages or means of locomotion DN.i.6 (with expln at DN-a.i.82 as follows: yānaṃ nāma vayhaṃ ratho sakaṭaṃ sandamānikā patankī ti. Na pan’ etaṃ pabbajitassa yānaṃ, upāhanā yānaṃ pana); Snp.924 (= anna-pāna-vattha-yāna-sannidhi Mnd.372).
- -sukha pleasures of riding and driving Kv.209; cp. Kvu trsl. 127.
fr. yā, as in yāti. Cp. Vedic yāna and Lat. Janus