- (adj.) beautiful, charming; auspicious, helpful, morally good. Syn bhaddaka Pv-a.9, Pv-a.116) and kusala (SN.ii.118; Pv-a.9 Pv-a.122); opp. pāpa (SN.i.83; MN.i.43; Pv-a.101, Pv-a.116 and under ˚mitta). kata˚ = katûpakāra Pv-a.116 applied to dhamma in phrase ādi˚ majjhe˚ pariyosāne˚ DN.i.62 and ≈; SN.v.152; Snp.p.103; Vv-a.87; Vism.213 sq. (in var. applications); etc
■ As m. one who observes the sīlapadaṃ (opp. pāpa, who violates it) AN.ii.222, cp k˚-mittā = sīlâdīhi adhikā Snp-a.341
■ SN.iv.303; SN.v.2 SN.v.29, SN.v.78; AN.iii.77; AN.iv.361; Vin.ii.8, Vin.ii.95; Ja.i.4; Mil.297-kata˚ (opp. kata-pāpa) of good, virtuous character, in phrase k˚ katakusala, etc. Iti.25, etc. (see kata ii.1 a) k˚ of kitti (-sadda) DN.i.49 (= DN-a.i.146 seṭṭha); SN.iv.374 SN.v.352; of jhāna (tividha˚) Bdhd 96, Bdhd 98, Bdhd 99; of mittā friends in general (see also cpd.) Dhp.78 (na bhaje pāpake mitte… bhajetha m˚ kalyāṇe), Dhp.116, Dhp.375 (= suddhâjīvin); Snp.338.
- a good or useful thing good things Vin.i.117; AN.iii.109; cp. bhadraṃ.
- goodness, virtue, merit, meritorious action Ja.v.49 (kalyāṇā here nt. nom. in sense of pl.; cp. Vedic nt.), Ja.v.492
■ ˚ṃ karoti to perform good deeds SN.i.72; AN.i.138 sq.; Vin.i.73; Pv-a.122
- kindness, good service Ja.i.378; Ja.iii.12 (= upakāra), Ja.iii.68 (˚ṃ karoti).
- beauty, attraction, perfection; enumerated as 5 kalyāṇāni viz. kesa˚, maṃsa˚, aṭṭhi˚, chavi˚, vaya˚ i.e. beauty of hair, flesh, teeth, skin, youth Ja.i.394; Dhp-a.i.387.
- -ajjhāsaya the wish or intention to do good Dhp-a.i.9; - ādhimuttika disposed towards virtue, bent on goodness SN.ii.154, SN.ii.158; Iti.70, Iti.78; Vb.341;
- -kāma desiring what is good AN.iii.109;
- -kārin (a) doing good virtuous (opp. pāpa˚) SN.i.227, cp. Ja.ii.202 = Ja.iii.158; Dhs-a.390; (m.) who has rendered a service Ja.vi.182
- -carita walking in goodness, practising virtue Vb.341
- -jātika one whose nature is pleasantness, agreeable Ja.iii.82;
- -dassana looking nice, lovely, handsome Snp.551 = Thag.821 (+ kañcanasannibhattaca);
- -dhamma 1 of virtuous character, of good conduct, virtuous Vin.i.73; Vin.iii.133; SN.v.352; Pp.26; Iti.96; Pv.iv.1#35 Mil.129; Dhp-a.i.380; Ja.ii.65 (= sundara˚), Pv-a.230 (= sundara-sīla); sīlavā + k˚ (of bhikkhu, etc.) MN.i.334; SN.iv.303; Pv-a.13 ■ k˚ena k˚atara perfectly good or virtuous AN.ii.224 2 the Good Doctrine Dhp-a.i.7
- -tā the state of having a virtuous character AN.ii.36
- -pañña “wise in goodness” possessed of true wisdom Thag.506; Iti.97;
- -paṭipadā the path of goodness or virtue, consisting of dāna, uposathakamma & dasakusalakammapathā Ja.iii.342;
- -paṭibhāṇa of happy retort, of good reply AN.iii.58, cp. Mil.3;
- -pāpaka good and bad Ja.v.238; Ja.vi.225; Kv.45; (nt.) goodness and evil Ja.v.493;
- -pīti one who delights in what is good Snp.969;
- -bhattika having good, nice food Vin.ii.77 Vin.iii.160 (of a householder);
- -mitta 1 a good companion a virtuous friend, an honest, pure friend; at Pp.24 he is said to “have faith, be virtuous, learned, liberal and wise”; MN.i.43 (opp. pāpa˚); SN.i.83, SN.i.87 (do.); AN.iv.30 AN.iv.357; Pp.37, Pp.41; Ja.iii.197; Bdhd 90; a˚; not a virtuous friend Dhs-a.247. 2 as t.t. a spiritual guide, spiritual adviser. The Buddha is the spiritual friend par excellence but any other Arahant can act as such SN.v.3 Vism.89, Vism.98, Vism.121; cp. kammaṭṭhāna-dāyaka.
-mittatā friendship with the good and virtuous, association with the virtuous SN.i.87; such friendship is of immense help for the attainment of the Path and Perfection SN.v.3 SN.v.32; it is the sign that the bhikkhu will realize the 7 bojjhangas SN.v.78 = SN.v.101; AN.i.16, AN.i.83, it is one of the 7 things conducive to the welfare of a bhikkhu DN.iii.212; AN.iv.29, AN.iv.282; Thig.213; Iti.10; Dhs.1328 = Pp.24 Vism.107
■ a˚; not having a virtuous friend and good adviser Dhs-a.247.
- -rūpa beautiful, handsome Ja.iii.82 Ja.v.204;
-vākkaraṇa, usually comb. with ˚vāca, of pleasant conversation, of good address or enunciation, reciting clearly DN.i.93, DN.i.115; AN.ii.97; AN.iii.114, AN.iii.263; AN.iv.279; Vin.ii.139; Mil.21; DN-a.i.263 (= madhura-vacana);
■ a˚ not pronouncing or reciting clearly DN.i.94. DN.i.122;
- -tā the fact of being of good and pleasing address AN.i.38
- -vāca, usually in form. k˚ k˚-vākkaraṇo poriyā vācāya samannāgato DN.i.114; AN.ii.97; AN.iii.114, AN.iii.195, AN.iii.263 AN.iv.279; Vin.ii.139; DN-a.i.282;
- -sadda a lucky word or speech Ja.ii.64;
- -sampavaṅka a good companion AN.iv.357 (in phrase k˚-mitta k˚-sahāya k˚- s˚); Pp.37
- -tā companionship with a virtuous friend SN.i.87
- -sahāya a good, virtuous companion AN.iv.284; AN.iv.357 Pp.37; cp. prec.,
- -tā = prec. SN.i.87;
- -sīla practising virtue, of good conduct, virtuous Thag.1008; Iti.96.